Fly Tying

Fly Fishing Tips from the Little Red Book of Fly Fishing | iFishNews Fishing Podcast 38

Number 19 in the "Little Red Book of Fly Fishing" podcast series where I review fly fishing tips in parallel to the current Winter Trout Stocking Season in our area. 

This week it's tips 82 through 87!
Tip 82: That Vision Thing
Tip 83: Timing the Rise
Tip 84: Be a Sneak
Tip 85: Off Broadway
Tip 86: Downstream and Dirty
Tip 87: How Dry am I?

BFS Fishing | Micro Crankbaits for Bass

Midweek was able to go pond fishing for Bass. Fished with the Dual BFS Micro Flyrod and the Kastking Zephyr BFS reel. Left the fly reel in my jacket, but was ready to swap reels and go fly fishing if needed!

Tried a Rebel Barbless Crawdad and had several strikes before finally landing one.

Switched to a minnow lure we bought at Walmart for less than $2 and caught several more Bass

Fun stuff BFS fishing with light lures!

BFS Fishing | More Micro Crankbaits

More fishing with the Dual BFS Micro Fly Rod. Fished micro crankbaits - Rebel Crawdad, Walmart Minnow, and a Rapala Husky Jerk.

Was a tough go with the Rebel Crawdad's barbless hook and keeping the fish on the hook. Did get several with the minnow crankbaits!

Sidetracked prepping the jon boat for lake fishing... Finally made it to the local lake to run the 2.5hp Suzuki Outboard. So far so good!

Fishing Airfield Park | Fort Worth, Texas

Fished a new place for the first time, Airfield  Park in Fort Worth, Texas. Mainly small Sunfish, Bluegill, and Longear... and a Bass!

Started with Roostertails, Beetlespins, Micro Crankbaits, and a Foam Spider.

Ended with a Near Deere casting with the Dual Micro Fly Rod used as a Micro Flyrod!

Fun stuff!

Fly Fishing Tips from the Little Red Book of Fly Fishing | iFishNews Fishing Podcast 39

Number 20 in the "Little Red Book of Fly Fishing" podcast series where I review fly fishing tips....

This week it's tips 88 through 93!
Tip 88: Getting to the Bottom of Things
Tip 89: Time on Water Equals Fish, Part 1
Tip 90: Time on Water Equals Fish, Part 2
Tip 91: Switch Bugs on an Obvious Refusal
Tip 92: One at a Time
Tip 93: Stack Mending for Drifts

Do check back on our next episode in the series where we discuss tips 94 - 99 .
Tip 94: Fish Flies Atypically
Tip 95: Shake, Shake, Shake (Your Streamer)
Tip 96: Snake Your Way to Success
Tip 97: Ditch the Bobber
Tip 98: More on Indicators
Tip 99: Balloon Going Up

Good Luck and Good Fishing!

Jon Boat Fishing | Easy Catfishing at the Local Lake

Still breaking in the new Suzuki 2.5hp Outboard but finally got to go fishing, too!  Started out catch bait - Shad, at the boat ramp. Then, ran to a few submerged trees for a chance at Crappie. No luck on the Crappie, so opted to run the motor a little before deciding to anchor in a spot that was out of the wind and fish for whatever was biting.  Was a fun time catching dinner at the local lake!

Suzuki 2.5HP Outboard Motor Review | Questions and Answers

Answering the mail from questions that have come in from folks, hope this helps.... do post in the comments if there are more questions.

Where purchased? Porta-Bote, Suzuki Outboard Team
What was the total cost? 839.81 TTL
Why did I buy it? Light weight and convenient, works on 12 foot Jon Boat
Trolling Motor compared to Outboard Motor? Like the outboard, no battery to recharge

#portabote #suzukioutboard #jonboat

Nice time catching fish!  Cute little ducklings!  Wife would've wanted to take those home.

On 5/4/2021 at 9:02 PM, mikechell said:

Nice time catching fish!  Cute little ducklings!  Wife would've wanted to take those home.

Was funny that the ducks kept hanging around watch me fish and jumping over the line.

Get Started Fly Fishing | Try an Easier Simple Foam Fly Pattern!

The other day I tied a variant of a Foam Grasshopper Pattern that used a rectangle shaped foam pattern to make a two segment body. It worked well on Bluegill and a Bass, too!

Taking it one step simpler, shortened the rectangle so I could tie the pattern with only one body segment. The end result, more Bluegill and Bass!

Unfortunately, I lost the fishing fly. No worries though; had a Foam Grasshopper in Size 14 at the ready and was able to keep fishing.

Caught a number of Bluegill and Bass including some nice ones! Looks like simple works!

Check out the video!