Fly Tying

On 5/4/2021 at 3:24 PM, fshng84 said:

Easy bluegill fishing fly | Foam Rectangle Fly?

Pond fishing with the 4wt Fly Rod and Reel! Wanted to try a simple fishing fly that did not require lots of material!

Took a rectangle cutout of 2mm closed cell foam and tied it on to a size 12 hook. Added legs... then fished it to a bed of Bluegill.

It works!

Here is a YouTube Shorts quick tie video of the simple fishing fly pattern that uses a rectangle shaped foam body and is tied into two body segments. Simple pattern that works on Bluegill and Bass. Do check back on a Simpler pattern tied the same way but only one body segment!

This is the even easier but still effective Simpler Foam Fly... same rectangle closed cell foam, just slight shorter; red dacron tying thread, and rubber legs. Has only one body segment instead of two, fast and simple to tie! 

YouTube Shorts video catching a Bass while fishing a Simpler Foam Fly in the weeds with the 4 wt fly rod! Will get full video posted later...

Why I Keep a Simpler Foam Fly in the Fly Box... Catches Fish!

Here is the full video from the earlier post! Started the trip intending to test another simple fly pattern. But, was stopped short when I lost the fly after hooking a fish.

No worries, had the Simpler Foam Fly in the fly box. Tied it on the 4wt combo and caught and released a few Bluegill and Bass!

Will try another test after I get another one tied... stay tuned!

Dusting off the kayak for a go hopefully in the next few days!  That said, always good to check past videos to recall what worked. Here is one I came across where I found the pattern while kayak fishing the local lake!

YouTube Shorts version

Full video

Question came up about how I fish the Simpler Foam Fly. Made a video to demonstrate. That said, I think it applies to other fishing flies when fishing  pond!

Do check it out as we keep to our Channel's intent, "Learn to fish by our trials and errors!"

And in this case, fly fishing a pond for Bluegill and Bass!

PS: Do check back, finally made it to the local lake for some kayak fishing. Got a workout in, plus caught a fishing or two!

Kayak Fishing | How I Like to Fish for  White Bass aka Sandies

Here is a video that shows how I like to fish for White Bass aka Sandies... kayak fishing!

It includes trolling, backpaddling, bottom bouncing, and casting.

All are effective at times especially with a Slab and Jig Rig... rigged Sabiki style 

Do check it out as we catch a fish or two or three!

YouTube Shorts Preview (less than 12 seconds)

Full Video

Pond Fly Fishing | Liking the Redington Pursuit Fly Rod and Ross Flystart 2 for Bluegill | 8' - 4wt

Pond fly fishing for Bluegill at the local pond. Started out fishing with the Bait Finesse Systems rod and reel combo, but the pond was too clobbered with greenery. Switched to an eight foot, four weight fly rod and reel setup and managed to catch a fish or two.

Liking the casting ability of the  Redington Pursuit Fly Rod, can get some distance with the little eight foot rod.  Pairs well with the Ross Flystart2 reel with WF 4wt Floating Line!

Making Slab Lures for White Bass | DO-IT Molds from Barlow's Tackle | Unboxing and Catching!

Decided to make my own slab lures for white bass. Ordered DO-IT Molds from Barlow's Tackle in Richardson, Texas. Lucked out, they still had the molds in stock!

Quick delivery, able to make a set of slab lures. After a quick paint job, got to try them out at the local lake "surf casting without the surf" with the Okuma Breakaway Surf Rod and Pflueger Reel.

Caught a fish or two before a boat went past that put the school down.  No worries... good to know making my own slabs works!

#luremaking #fishing #whitebass

YouTube Shorts video on fly tying the Wapsi Foam Spider offered in a kit by the Wapsi Fly Company!

Pond Bass Fishing | Dog Park, Norman OK

Fun time fishing the Dog Park Pond in Norman, OK while out and about this weekend. Bass were in there beds, and the pond was clobbered making it hard to catch them with the BFS fishing lures. Did get one on a Rapala Husky Jerk and another with the Denison Dan Dawber!

Fun stuff!

Hiked into a pond this am.  Algae out about 20-25 feet from the shore.   Decided to roll cast unweighted flies to get them out to open water.

The fish were cooperative.  Lots of strikes, but lost the ones that I could not get up to the surface to slide over the algae. 

Still a lot of fun.

Rick 

On 5/25/2021 at 4:13 PM, RickZieger said:

Hiked into a pond this am.  Algae out about 20-25 feet from the shore.   Decided to roll cast unweighted flies to get them out to open water.

The fish were cooperative.  Lots of strikes, but lost the ones that I could not get up to the surface to slide over the algae. 

Still a lot of fun.

Rick 

Nice!

How We Setup a Sabiki Slab and Jig Rig for Kayak Fishing and Surfcasting?

Here is an updated variation on the Sabiki Slab and Jig Rig that  we have been using for kayak fishing and surfcasting from lake points over the years. 

The rig still uses three different monofilament lines - 30lbs, 20lbs, and 12lbs test. And, it still uses a Slab lure and three Jigs. The only difference is we no longer pass the dropper line for the jig through the overhand knots tied on the main line.

Instead, we jam the uni-knot against the overhand knots and one of the barrel knots.  This makes for a quick re-tie when a jig breaks off.

We continue to favor this setup as the 20lbs test line to the slab will breaks off, saving the 30lbs mainline and jigs in the event of a snag.

Moreover, the 12lbs droppers will breakoff before the 30lbs mainline also saving us from re-tying the entire rig while on the water!

Do try it out!