Fly Tying

On 4/23/2022 at 5:47 PM, mikechell said:

I'm pretty sure those Sunfish weren't all "Bluegill".  But, looked like a fun few hours bank fishing.  Not much of that available here, as there's almost always several feet of pads and grass you have to cast over, and rarely enough room behind to make the back cast.  But you've got me itching to go to those few places that do have bank opportunities.

Thanks! They are fun to catch. Went back out with the little 2wt CGR. Had fun... but lost my Caddis Foam Grasshopper. Tied only one. Did tie more for the next round.

Here is the Foam Grasshopper Variant that uses 2mm closed cell foam cut with a foam cutter to make a caddis body. Calling it the Caddis Foam Grasshopper. Worked for Bluegill and Bass!

Pond Fishing Fun | Cabelas 2wt CGR and Foam Grasshoppers

Planned to fish with Bait Finesse gear for Bass and Bluegill. But, the pond was too clobbered with "green stuff" that fouled lures. Switched to fly fishing - Cabelas 2wt Fiberglass Rod and the Caddis Foam Grasshopper.  Was a fun time ultralight fly fishing!

Tiny Crankbait Worked... Are there fish at Lake Glenn?

Repost of earlier Livestream where yours' truly is checking if there are fish at the local lake. I am using Bait Finesse System fishing with a KastKing Zephyr without the reel clicker. I am casting a Teeny Crankbait from the Mystery Tackle Box! Caught several but this was the largest caught that round - estimating 16-17 inches.

Follow up video of an earlier post about fish caught at Lake Glenn. Previously, showed one Bass caught that round. This video shows the fish caught that day!

Fished the local pond the other day using the little 2wt Cabelas Fiberglass CGR Fly Rod. Paired well with the 2/3 Wt Echo Ion Fly Reel. I am fishing a Caddis Foam Grasshopper and working the pond by casting to spawning Bluegill on their nests. Polarized glasses make a difference in finding them.

More fun at the local pond bait finesse style fishing with the KastKing Zephyr and Haira Tiny 33F Crankbait!

Two back to back trips to the local pond using the little 2wt Cabelas Fiberglass CGR Fly Rod. Works well with the 2/3 Wt Echo Ion Fly Reel.

Fished a  local pond using BFS Gear. Started with a tiny crankbait, then switched to a Mepps Inline Spinner. Bass and Bluegill were fun on the ultralight gear. Especially the Bluegill... caught several big ones!

epic day at some private ponds .  finally the week of heat turned them on.  fished 7amtill 1 with two anglers and my grandson.  over 200 bass caught and released up to 3lb . almost all males12 to 15 inch . best flies were a ned style worm in black, and a tequelly.     a new brown shiny mop fly  body did wonders on the big gills.

Back to the local pond for more BFS Fishing! Shimano Scorpion 17 BFS XG and the Bass Pro Shops Microlite Fiberglass Rod! $25 Bass Pro Fiberglass Rod Works for Bait Finesse Fishing!

Fishing with a Zebco Slingshot Spinning Rod and Reel combo that we bought for $9.99 at Wal-Mart. Caught a number of fish. Combo handled a few five pound fish without issue but this one was to big for it... Or, at least too big for the 10 lbs mono to hold it. Check out the video snippet, looked like a Big Black Drum!

Found an old Rapala Floating Minnow lure while antiquing this past weekend. 30+ years old, still catches fish! Worked well with the Bass Pro Shops Microlite Rod and Kastking Zephyr BFS Reel with clicker!

Quick tie fly tying demo of Wapsi's Foam Spider Kit. Easy pattern, tied in minutes, and fished soon after tying it. Caught four fish, lost what could have been number five... also, lost the fishing fly. Luckily,  tied another one after the trip!

Fun trip to the Texas Coast fishing for inshore saltwater fish with our Zebco Slingshot Spinning Combos purchased from Walmart for $9.99! Overall, the feisty combo held their own except for one that got away... would say the 8lbs line was the culprit not the combo.