Fly Tying

Next in the Getting Started in Fly Fishing series - money saving DIY demo on making your own fly fishing leader. Costing less than a dollar, much less if you don't use tippet rings!
#fishingtips #flyfishing #fishinghacks #fishing

https://youtu.be/5BBW2vkQ5yY

Try These Two Modifications for the Martin Fly Fishing Combo. Before you go fishing with the Martin Fly Fishing Combo, try these two modifications.

Mod 1. If you want to change reel's left-hand retrieve to a right-hand retrieve.Mod 2. Add a section of 30lbs mono to replace the knot used to connect the fly line to the leader with a loop to loop connection.

Works for similar single action fly reels that use a click-pawl drag aka clicker.

Do check back for the next video if the Getting Started Fly Fishing - $33 Amazon Challenge... look for DIY Leader Recipe that show how we make our own fly fishing leaders instead of buying them!

Next in the ongoing Getting Started in Fly Fishing - $33 Amazon Challenge is a money saving DIY demo where yours truly shows you how I make my own fly fishing leader.

Costing less than a dollar, much less if you don't use tippet rings, the DIY Fly Fishing Leader uses a Perfection Loop, Blood Knot, Improved Clinch Knot, and a Trilene Knot and different lengths and strengths of monofilament line.

Do give it a try and let us know how it works for you. And, do check back for more in the Series... look for upcoming videos of the Muddler Minnow that came with the Martin Fly Fishing Kit that is the base for this series!

Also, have upcoming videos with suggestions that may be of interest to some... and, they won't cut into your fishing budget!

#fishingtips #flyfishing #fishinghacks

I always use fly fishing tippet material for the tippet section of leaders.

The problem with spin fishing line is that it is stiffer and weaker for identical diameters compared to tippet material.

You can see that Rio tippet material of 0.010" diameter is rated at 13 lb and the identical diameter of Berkeley Trilene is rated at 8 lbs.

The Rio is 62% stronger.

Why skimp on the weakest connection to the fish.

Penny wise and pound foolish!

Why save pennies on a length of tippet material when you have spent $$$ to on the rest of your fly fishing tackle and $$ on gasoline to get to your fishing spot?

1424186931_ScreenShot2022-06-28at10_17_59AM.thumb.png.a41931fadc0235c00d0ad9936055e9b7.png

1747761176_ScreenShot2022-06-28at10_17_02AM.png.e4494c291618e124b84d46c06fafb947.png

Great point Silver Creek!  I've actually used Tippet while jigging for walleye too with my spinning reels

I have used 6 lbs stren mono, 4lbs stren mono, and 2 lbs fluorocarbon with good success. Stocker trout, local pond fishing... for Stripers, I make a two section leader of 30 lbs stren and 17lbs stren... have not had issues with line breakage on the local stripers.

I do keep Rio and Cabelas brand tippets handy for those longer trips that have larger trout.

Back to a local pond that I have not fished for in awhile to "test" the Martin Fly Fishing Combo sold in a kit by Amazon. Using a Muddler Minnow that came with the kit. It's beaten up but still catches fish. Lots of fun, and got a new idea for the next video in the series where I use only 32 feet of line to fish. The intent... you don't need to cast long distances to catch fish to get started fly fishing! Stay tuned for more!

Next in the Getting Started in Fly Fishing series is a video that shows yours truly catching fish using only 32 feet of line - 8 feet of line on the rod, 16 feet of line past th rod tip, and 8 feet of leader tippet.

If you are first starting out and you get frustrated with your cast, try less line and focus on a stealth approach/presentation to fish lurking near the bank.

And, gain a feel for setting the hook and playing a fish on a fly rod.

Fun stuff!

Do check back for more in the series... next up is a look at the fishing flies that came with the $33 Martin Fly Fishing Kit!

Martin Fly Fishing Kit came with fishing flies. Muddler Minnow did well on Bass and Bluegill,  but it was beaten up. Switched to the Big Nymph and caught more Bluegill. Good to known the fishing flies will catch fish!

Ready to closeout the Getting Started Fly Fishing $33 Amazon Challenge after one more round at a local pond. Martin Fly Fishing Kit has been a great deal... fly rod and reel; fly line, backing and leader; and fishing flies, too!

And, this round... the Wooley Bugger took a beating and was retired but it came through with Bass and Bluegill caught. Also, was able to show the false casts that I  used to cast the level line for distance.

Do check back... plan to post a closeout video with thoughts on the Martin Fly Fishing Kit and an extra video where I add an OPST Commando Head to the combo!

Closing out the Getting Started Fly Fishing series with a Product Review of the Martin Fly Fishing Kit which comes with rod, reel, fly line, backing, and leader as well as fishing flies and an instruction booklet. It comes ready to fish - just tie on a fishing fly.

Review provides recommendations and tips to get started in fly fishing and some thoughts on what to do next after fishing with the combo

PS: Do check back on a follow-up video where I cast the combo with the level line that reel came with  compared to casting with a shooting head - specifically, the OPST Commando Head!

#flyfishing #fishing

Quick trip to the local pond. Bass were striking Dragon Flies... match the hatch. Switched to Dragon Flies!

Quick trip to the local pond fly fishing for Bluegill and Sunfish with the micro fly rod. Did a check to confirm how far I cast a little foam spider... 30 feet plus is well within reach!

Back for more micro fly fishing.This tIme I am fishing a feeder creek where it feeds into a pond and further upriver from it!