Fly Tying

This round's discussion is ultralight baitcasting aka Bait Finesse Systems Fishing for Trout this Stocking Season!

What Do I Need To Fly Fish?  Let's Talk Fly Fishing - COAF Field Team Average Joe's Live Broadcast

This round we talk about fly fishing from an Average Joe's point of view.

Do checkout the livestream, and do checkback for more Livestreams from the Team!

Here is a simple but effective pattern for trout. Works well fished under a strike indicator but your's truly likes to fish it as a trailing fly on a tandem rig setup!

More fun fishing the Blue River in Oklahoma this past Sunday. Morning started out below freezing and overall the trout bite slowed for some of us. But, I did manage to limit out with three trout. I did see some nice size ones moving about but no takers for yours truly.

Also, did more exploring of the area north of Hughes Crossing and checked out "The Boulders" per Zach Flatt's recommendation - see his website at https://flattoutfishing.com/ for more details.

Overall, it was a nice "chill" or maybe "chillier" day but it was sure lots of fun. Do check out the video. Also, will plan a livestream to step through the video and possibly answer any questions about the trip.

A heads up for anyone heading down to the Ft. Lauderdale / Miami area... if you bring a fly rod (even something as small as a 5wt... ) all of our canals are in high water stage - and full of peacock bass... Nothing else is there but the peacocks are going strong - way out near sawgrass far to the west - or right behind a shopping center or apartment building... Great fun!  They'll hit anything from a small popper all the way down to small clousers on 1/0 or smaller hooks...   The only thing that will slow down the bite is some cold weather (and for us, cold is down in the low sixties at night.. I know, we're spoiled... ).  Yes,  you'll need a freshwater license - and no, you don't need a guide - but if you want one - call me... When it gets cold at night and stays that way for a while (next month.. and all winter long) the fish won't get active until after 10Am or a bit later as it warms up... 

We only get two seasons down here - a wet and a dry.. The dry season begins around Halloween (but this year with two wet hurricanes dumping huge amounts of freshwater on us our "dry season" will be a bit later on - understatement...  The absolute best canal fishing will be towards the end of the dry season, March through May when all the sawgrass areas dry out and the fish on the flats are forced to retreat back into the canal system... That's when, along with the peacocks there will be lots of other exotics (oscars, cichlids of every kind) as well as a big push of largemouth bass - and all of them hungry... 

Here's a pic or two of the flies we use... as small as a #4 all the way up to 1/0 and a bit larger... 

8uJB2ni.jpg

peacock clouser size #4, natural wing

DLsF8SH.jpg

same pattern, synthetic wing

RDIgUoE.jpg

Speed Bugs in every color, size #1 - soft foam heads from Perfect Popper

4SSXs4c.jpg

Crystal Schminnow (my version) , size #4 all the way up to a 1/0, color of choice -note the wire weedguard...

0yQApBO.jpg

Feather mullet (Seaducer variation) in smaller sizes, any color will do from #2 on up to 1/0, again note the wire weedguard.. 

Since I'm a saltwater tyer straying into freshwater areas, the hooks on all of the patterns shown are just Mustad 34007 stainless - freshwater bass hooks might be more appropriate - but we stick just about every bite on what I've shown - no problem..   No fancy leader system - just a relatively heavy butt section looped to a four or five foot piece of 20lb fluorocarbon leader - and every fly attached with an improved Homer Rhode loop knot.... 

Let's Talk Fly Fishing - Blue River Oklahoma Recap - Average Joe's Live Broadcast @COAFFieldTeam

This round I recap Sunday's fishing trip to the Blue River in Oklahoma - specifically,
1. Fishing flies I used
2. Exploring the area north of Hughes Crossing
3. What worked and what did not work
4. And, what I would do next round

Do checkout the livestream, and do checkback for more Livestreams from the Team!

Trout stockings are in full swing in Texas, and Oklahoma remains a hot spot for trout fishing fun, too! Do check out this livestream as we talk about catching a limit of trout! #fishing #trout #livestream

Fished the Blue River for trout this round. Opted for Super Dupers and Ultralight Fishing Gear. Three of us fished - two fished with Ultralight Spinning Gear and yours truly fished with Ultralight Baitcasting gear.

Cold front rolled in the night before dropping the temps below freezing. Anticipating trout tending deeper, decided to fish Super Dupers.

Stopped at Scotty's Blue River One Stop to restock on Super Dupers - picked up Rainbow Trout, Silver, and Copper Super Dupers to add to the gold and silver ones I  already had.

After a quick check at the low water crossing, went downriver to fish. After finding the pattern limited out with three trout each!

PS: Yours truly wore hip waders and went a little too deep. Lesson learned where Pants Waders or Chest Waders.  Also, we did have a wading boot blowout after many seasons. Secured the sole with rope to make it last one more trip. It worked... and has now been retired.

Super Dupers and Ultralight Gear | Average Joe's Broadcast from the Let's Talk Fishing Series 😎
Trout stockings are in full swing in Texas, and Oklahoma remains a hot spot for trout fishing fun, too! Do check out this livestream as we talk about catching a limit of trout using Super Dupers and Ultralight Gear!

Trout stocking at our local pond - Bethany Lakes in Allen, Texas! Not able to see them stock the trout but did make it later in the evening. Lots of trout, lots of fishermen, luckily did manage to limit out!

Great time on the Blue River today. Opted for the Switch Rod knowing I would have a clobbered back cast fishing the spot I was targeting today.