Fly Tying

First time fishing with a Center Pin Reel. Had to practice and get my timing and release down. Managed to catch two Trout, improve my casting, and then closed out with ultralight baitcasting to get three more trout to make a limit.

Do check back for more Center Pin Fishing. New way to fish for yours truly. Would be a great way to fish the tailrace at Denison Dam, Lewisville Lake Ecological Learning Area, and other rivers.

For now, going to keep practicing at local ponds!

Merry Christmas! Hope all had some great gifts... fishing related of course!

Answering a question on another thread about the Blue River Catch and Release Area, I put this together for ease of reference.

Hope it helps for anyone interesting in fishing the Blue's C-n-R!

Blue River Catch and Release Information
 full-27186-165896-qa1.jpg

Ever tried tying a tippet ring to your fly leader with cold, wet fingers? Or, while wearing gloves? Try this fishing tip next round, it may be useful to those of us who use tippet rings. #fishing #flyfishing #tips 

Bread For Catfish Bait | Centerpin Fishing Series #fishing #pondfishing #catfish

Decided to fish the local pond to verify if there were still fish lurking in it. In the past, the pond held some nice size Catfish. I suspect there may still be a Bruiser or two but this round I managed three good sized Bullheads.

I used the NGT Centerpin Reel and a Cabelas TLR Switch Rod for the rod/reel combo, and then I used bread formed into bread balls for bait. The drag free capability of the Centerpin made for some interesting strikes as I watched the fish take the bait and run with it.

Apologies for the test livestream last night. I was working on a video switcher hardware and thought I was streaming unlisted.

Did get some of the bugs worked out, but still need to figure a way to monitor audio to make sure sound is coming through.

No worries, have a workaround for now.

This round I talk briefly about the Centerpin Fishing at the local pond using bread and then later a dough bait recipe from an article I posted a few years back.

Additionally, I mention a fly fishing tip that helps older fishermen with a touch of nearsighted vision line their fly rods a little more easier!

Also, I mention an app that I am working on to check your hookset, at least the timing of it. Stay tuned for more. Will post soon as I get it working.

Do check it out!

I didn't do the timer, as it's inaccurate as far as registering hookset time.  You don't have to set the hook as the fish is hitting.  You just have to set the hook before it spits the lure back out.  The example: the Frog Fish can strike as fast as 6 milliseconds.  But in all videos I've seen of those and similar fish striking, they hold onto the mouthful for a very long time.  Even false hits, like floating debris or a lure is held for several seconds.

Some fish reject a mouthful quicker than others, but all fish require a second or to.  They must feel and taste it to reject it. 

2 hours ago, mikechell said:

I didn't do the timer, as it's inaccurate as far as registering hookset time.  You don't have to set the hook as the fish is hitting.  You just have to set the hook before it spits the lure back out.  The example: the Frog Fish can strike as fast as 6 milliseconds.  But in all videos I've seen of those and similar fish striking, they hold onto the mouthful for a very long time.  Even false hits, like floating debris or a lure is held for several seconds.

Some fish reject a mouthful quicker than others, but all fish require a second or to.  They must feel and taste it to reject it. 

Agree on all points. Main point was to measure response to a visual cue and compare it to a Bass' speed.

Short on time but open to available fishing opportunities, made a quick trip to the local pond for Centerpin Fishing for Bullheads using the Simple Dough Bait Recipe.

This time, I let the dough bait harden overnight, and then coated it with some flour. It stayed on the hook well, but I did need to dip it in water before baiting the hook.

Give it a try, and do check back liking the NGT Centerpin Reel decided to order a second one. It delivered Friday, plan to show it at the next livestream!