Fly Tying

BFS Fishing | On an Average Joe's Budget | Kastking Zephyr 70 Bucks!

While snowed in this past week, watched a number of YouTube videos of which several got me interested in BFS fishing. A viewer a while back suggested giving it a try but the cost was too high for yours truly.  That is, until I learned about the Kastking Zephyr.  Ordered one for just under 70 dollars. Should deliver latter part of next week. Do check back... hope to catch a fish or two trying BFS Fishing on an Average Joe's Budget!

Another YouTube Shorts video... this one is a quick update on the chilly conditions out there and yours truly lucking out with a Cabelas Gift Card. Bought line and Rooster Tails to go with the BFR reel that delivers next week!

Micro Fishing | Two Piece Fly Rod at the Feeder Creek

Quick trip after the day job to a feeder creek for some micro fishing with the two piece micro flyrod. Went with a Griffith's Gnat fished dry as well as wet. Had few misses at first... smaller hook for these little fish would have been better. But, did catch a few once I found my mojo! Fun stuff!

On 2/21/2021 at 3:52 PM, fshng84 said:

Another YouTube Shorts video... this one is a quick update on the chilly conditions out there and yours truly lucking out with a Cabelas Gift Card. Bought line and Rooster Tails to go with the BFR reel that delivers next week!

Arrived early... the Kastking Zephyr BFR reel. Looks awesome, now just gotta go fishing with it! Should cast a bubble fly rig with ease!

Kastking Zephyr | Checkout Our First Impression Fishing With the BFS Reel | Liking It!

Kastking Zephyr BFS Reel delivered yesterday. Was able to take it fishing to the local pond. After a few tweaks was able to cast a 1/16 oz Rooster Tail without issue, even caught a little Bass. Here's to more fish caught using this BFS reel. More to come from an Average Joe's perspective on BFS fishing!

Gotta keep fishing more but first impression from an Average Joe...
- The Kastking Zephyr is a great starting point to learn BFS.
- Other than tweaking the spool tension, adjusting the brake, and educating my thumb, I was able to cast a 1/16oz Rooster Tail and even caught a fish!
- Worked right out of the box... not bad for LESS THAN $70!

Quick update... one trout stocking was delayed, other hosted its trout derby as planned. Else, rain has us sidetracked!

Texas Rainbow Trout Fishing | Ultralight BFS Fishing for Trout with 1/16oz Roostertails

Rain delay has us sidetracked but was able to make in Saturday afternoon for a round of Texas Rainbow Trout fishing BFS Fishing style - Bait Finesse Systems fishing, at Frisco Commons Pond.

Went with ultralight gear that included the Kastking Zephyr BFS Reel, Berkley Lightning Rod, and 1/16oz Roostertails! 

Reel is casting nicely plus keeping only 100 feet of line on the reel helps with clearing backlashes as yours truly re-educates his thumb to baitcasting again!

Trout were active and did manage to catch three trout for dinner.

Fun stuff!

BFS Fishing | Bass on Ultralight Lures with the Kastking Zephyr

More BFS fishing with the Kastking Zephyr BFS Reel zip-tied to the Orvis Practicaster Fly Rod. Caught one Bass today had other strikes but ended up losing the suspending minnow to a snag.

Had to make the emergency run to Cabelas to stock up on ultralight lures. Picked up several lures but none matched the minnow we lost. If someone recognizes the lure, let us know in the comments. Will plan to buy more; really like it.

It's two inches long, weighs 1/16oz, and suspends. It has a blue back, white undersides, with a trace of chartreuse on the side, and a prominent black dot on each side!

Fun stuff!

Impromptu livestream providing fishing updates from the Team. Updates on area trout stocking opportunities in our area and the DIY BFS Rod that does double duty as a Micro Fly Rod, too!

Check it out and do check as we "test" the BFS aka Micro Fly Rod in the next few weeks, and maybe catching a fish or two!

Fly Fishing Tips from the Little Red Book of Fly Fishing | iFishNews Fishing Podcast 37

Number 18 in the "Little Red Book of Fly Fishing" podcast series where I review fly fishing tips in parallel to the current Winter Trout Stocking Season in our area.

This week it's tips 76 through 81!
Tip 76: A Cure for Nymphing Neurosis
Tip 77: Staying Humble
Tip 78: Sunny Side Down
Tip 79: Look Beyond Your Indicator
Tip 80: The Down-Current Hook-Set
Tip 81: Where the Trout Are

Do check back on our next episode in the series where we discuss tips 82 - 87.
Tip 82: That Vision Thing
Tip 83: Timing the Rise
Tip 84: Be a Sneak
Tip 85: Off Broadway
Tip 86: Downstream and Dirty
Tip 87: How Dry am I?

Good Luck and Good Fishing!

Video that demos the DIY BFS rod worked in catching bass at the local pond. Mounted the Kastking Zephyr BFS reel on a rod I made using an ice fishing rod blank, rod handle, and fly rod guides. 

In short order, it can do double duty as a Micro Fly Rod, too. Makes for a versatile setup when fishing in the warmer months to come!

Three Bass caught and released this round!