Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Markbob

Casper, WY

Work is sending me to the Casper area for about two weeks. Hoping to fish the Frying Pan for trout. Any tips, pointers or "oh, don't forget"s?

The only Frying Pan I know of is in Colorado, near Aspen. The North Platte runs right through town. There are several fly shops, and a Sportsman's Warehouse in Casper. They should be able to point you in the right direction. There is good fishing on the North Platte and several of the larger creeks may have some access.

Further south (about 60 miles,) on the Platte, is the Miracle Mile area below Siminoe Res. Most well known fishing area in that part of the country.

Agreeing with Utyer. Dad lived in Caspar for several years, and I had the chance to fish there a couple of times. Caught some nice fish in the Platte, but they were far between hits. Could be better now than it was ... a couple of decades ago ... or it could be worse.

I caught a whole bunch of rainbows and browns on the Miracle Mile ... all on a white Shyster Spinner (sorry, didn't have any fly gear there at that time.)

North Platte, that's what I meant. Sorry, it's been a crazy couple of days. I got the dispatch yesterday to be out there tomorrow.

Wow ... take some hoppers. Lots of grass lands out there with lots of grass hoppers living along the edges of the rivers.

Gray Reef on the North Platte is really fishing well. Red rock worms and small brown RS2's are the ticket!

No on the hoppers. Despite the large expansive grasslands, I did not see a single hopper. The fish seemed to only want small nymphs and red worms.