Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
SILKHDH

CA glues: Are the all created equal.

CA "superglues" were originally designed from what I understand for use in eye surgery where it would hold things quickly but later dissolve from the eye's moisture.

Zap-a-gap was later designed for the model industry best I know and Lefty Kreh did some extensive testing in the early days and found Zap to be the only water proof CA at that time.

Fast forward to today and I think Loc-tite is likely waterproof to hold screws/bolts in the elements. I use BSI and as far as I know, it is waterproof.

As for storage, I use CA a lot and while I used to refrigerate, I don't any longer. A one ounce opened bottle lasts months in my shed/workshop where the temps get over 100. Although a few times in that time, I have to clear the tip. Occassionally, I'll unscrew the top and pull the dried CA from out of the inside of the nozzle with a foreceps.

Kirk

been using gorilla super glue for a few years now. if it starts to thicken I add some toluene to it. took 2 years for first bottle to empty and have just started the second bottle this year.. worth every penny in my book.

Those commercials are, for the most part, pretty lame. But I did like that one. "Well, did you know that words really CAN hurt you?"

CA "superglues" were originally designed from what I understand for use in eye surgery where it would hold things quickly but later dissolve from the eye's moisture.

Zap-a-gap was later designed for the model industry best I know and Lefty Kreh did some extensive testing in the early days and found Zap to be the only water proof CA at that time.

Fast forward to today and I think Loc-tite is likely waterproof to hold screws/bolts in the elements. I use BSI and as far as I know, it is waterproof.

As for storage, I use CA a lot and while I used to refrigerate, I don't any longer. A one ounce opened bottle lasts months in my shed/workshop where the temps get over 100. Although a few times in that time, I have to clear the tip. Occassionally, I'll unscrew the top and pull the dried CA from out of the inside of the nozzle with a foreceps.

SILKHDH Writes: The Lefty Kreh testing is interesting. Is a well know name indeed. If you go to the first page of this forum ,whatfly posted a product description from ZAP-A-GAP. It mentions the water usage.

This is by ZAP-A-GAP themselves. I wander if the "wording" is key here. Water proof as apposed to water repellent. I am in no position to argue with Lefty Kreh. I'm just left scratching my head. Confused.