Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Taxon

Dragonfly Entomology

something else I found out looking around on the web is that Dragonfly nymphs live in the water for several years. I was pretty suprised to read that bugeyes.gif

QUOTE (skunked @ Feb 8 2005, 12:39 AM)
Well if you look at the body types the Aeshnid is long and tapered and the exoskeleton is short and boxy so I guess it would be a Libellulid

skunked-

It would be nice if there were only two choices. However, there are eight families of dragonflies in North America, and likely (at least) six families represented in whichever state or province Pujic's lake specimen was photographed. Although I have (tentatively) identified the photo to family, before leading anyone astray, I'm having the identification verified by a professional entomologist. I'll get back to you on it, hopefully shortly.

QUOTE (pennscreekrules @ Feb 8 2005, 08:57 AM)
All right here's what I've come up with I'm probably way off but all my searches for aeshnidea with conspicuous light blotches led my to this page. From the info on this page I'm going to guess Boyeria vinosa. Not sure about the vinosa part. Stream Darner would be the common name for the Boyeria I thinkBoyeria page

pennscreekrules-

You've got it. The genus is Boyeria for Pujic's river dweller. Are we starting to have fun yet?

QUOTE (skunked @ Feb 8 2005, 04:47 PM)
something else I found out looking around on the web is that Dragonfly nymphs live in the water for several years.  I was pretty suprised to read that bugeyes.gif

Yes, that's surprising isn't it. Some dragonfly species are in their nymphal (larval) stage for as long as four years. I see Nick has started a thread for tying stoneflies, some of which spend as long as 3 years in their nymphal stage.

I'm having the identification verified by a professional entomologist. I'll get back to you on it, hopefully shortly.

Taxon, have you got anything on this yet?

QUOTE (skunked @ Feb 11 2005, 10:31 AM)
Taxon, have you got anything on this yet?

skunked-

No I haven't, but I won't leave you hanging any longer. I believe the family of Pujic's lake dweller to be Corduliidae (Greeneyed Skimmer), and the genus to (perhaps) be Epitheca.

a little trivia for you all too.

In this part of the world Dragonfly nymphs (in general) are known as "mudeyes", just in case you come across the term and were wondering what the hell it meant.

I recall taxon being confused at the term on another site.

Cheers

Blake