Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
eide

August flies from the bench

2014.08.12.vaskebjorn-1024x682.jpg

Some more of this pattern on a Daiichi 2546 #8, this time with bead-chain eyes.

Kimo ... where in Hawaii are you? I stopped by the "Nervous Fly Tiers" shop today. Nice little place.

Kimo ... where in Hawaii are you? I stopped by the "Nervous Fly Tiers" shop today. Nice little place.

Sorry Mike,

I'm one of the "lost" Hawaiians living in Colorado, though my family and I still consider Hawaii home.

I am from the center of Honolulu in a neighborhood called Palama Settlement.

Kimo

A guide fly is one of those patterns that can imitate a whole lot of anything, is easy to tie and inexpensive. When thinking about flies that I want in my fly box, I want a fly that will simply catch fish wherever I cast it and not drive mebonkers at the vice. If you think about it, Randall Kauffman's Simulator is just one of those golden patterns. It can imitate a Golden Stone…Check! Cased Caddis…check! Hellgrammite…check! you name it, it looks like something that trout and steelhead would eat. I use it all year long in waters that harbor salmon flies and stoneflies. be sure to tie them in a range of sizes, even small version are highly effective.

simulator.jpg

More info here....http://www.facebook.com/JPNewburyAnglingArts

Appropriate for this time of year, I am tying a CDC Flying Ant in my newest YouTube fly tying tutorial. This pattern, featured in Henry Ramsay's "Matching Major Eastern Hatches," has some great materials, including a cdc wing and Krystal Flash legs.

TC

Do tell... How'd you attach the bead like that?

Edit: just so I don't look like a complete moron, I asked this question before those last 2 pics were added... :)

Those are pretty cool, flytire. I'll have to look for some fringe beads next time I am at Jo-Ann's.

Chase creek, where do find hackle tapered like that? I that on untrimmed hackle or some different sized ones. Don't know how important it would be to the fish but sure makes a pretty tie with the tapering hackle.