Fly Tying

Recently ordered some bug off uv resin for fly tying. I see a wide selection of UV lamps ranging from 10 bux to 35 (for loon light). Can anyone recommend something less expensive than the loon torch that will get the job done.

Chris

I use an Ultrafire flashlight to "set" the resin, then place in full sunshine for a few minutes for a better cure. Works like a charm for me.

The only UV Resin that I have ever used are Loon products. The all cure very nicely with a 10.00 generic lamp that I picked up in a shop in Salt Lake City. It cures the UV Knot Sense, Wader Patch, and the fly tying cements from Loon Outdoors. I have no reason to change.

My daughter uses a UV light in her lizard cage. Wonder if that could be used to set the gel?

I use a cheap nail UV light box. Very quick and can leave a set of flies under it on a length of cork or foam.

I use the most expensive one they sell but that's only because somewhere along the line I decided I don't have enough time to worry about finding the bottom line and just get what I want. Does it work any better than the cheap one I got in a combo kit? Yes, faster and get the Hydro or Silver Creek UV to set tack free almost instantly. I'm happy with it and that's where I'm at in life...so there. :-)

By the way, found out the hard way don't take it out in the sunlight and try to make a patch on something like a camper screen. You just end up wasting the bottle and have the dispenser brush stuck to the screen. One of those "What was I thinking" moments.

By the way, found out the hard way don't take it out in the sunlight and try to make a patch on something like a camper screen. You just end up wasting the bottle and have the dispenser brush stuck to the screen. One of those "What was I thinking" moments.

You CAN do this, but you have to be faster than the speed of light.

JasonJones published a review of comparative testing of UV resins and UV lights some time back. He hasn't been online since April of this year but maybe you could PM him and get a link. I recall his results were that every UV light tested worked on every resin tested, and he recommended one from Ace Hardware, but you'd better read his review.

You CAN do this, but you have to be faster than the speed of light.

I used to be but time has slowed me down...Or light is moving faster. LOL

Recently ordered some bug off uv resin for fly tying.

Chris

Chris,

There are mixed reports by fly tiers using Bug Off UV resin. Some say it cures and others say that it stays tacky. Bug Bond does stay tacky as does Clear Cure Goo.

If Bug Off does not cure for you, PM me and I will get you set up with my resin that cures absolutely tack free and cures faster than any resin I have tested.

You can read the reviews on this post.

http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/forum/index.php?threads/tack-free-fast-cure-crystal-uv-cure-resin.97151/