Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
SilverCreek

Hatch Friday at Whiting

Aww, Man!! I don't want to see cute little chicks. Almost makes me NOT want to use the feathers so they don't have to die for my flies.

But fried chicken is SOOOO good.

Since everybody so far has suggested the same thing, allow me to ask: what happens to the rest of the chicken when he/she is killed to harvest his feathers? Are we looking at another harp seal situation? Inquiring minds want to know.

I second that. What happens to the carcass? I suppose unless processed in a sterile environment, they could not be used for human food. Health codes and all. I bet they go to dog and cat food producers. Surely the carcass is not wasted.

Believe at one time someone mentioned that the carcasses go into the feed, making the Whiting operation very efficient. This is second hand information at best.

Believe at one time someone mentioned that the carcasses go into the feed, making the Whiting operation very efficient. This is second hand information at best.

I hope they don't do that, as that leads to Spongiform Encephalopathy, better known as "Mad Cow Disease".

Is it just me or does the video end rather suddenly?

I think it's just an excerpt from a longer video.

I suppose unless processed in a sterile environment, they could not be used for human food.

It might be best if you never look into how chicken is processed or how much of it is sold with salmonella. Your view is nicer.

Frank.

Is it just me or does the video end rather suddenly?

I think it's just an excerpt from a longer video.

Yes, but what longer video? I was just getting interested! And... why end it there?

Since everybody so far has suggested the same thing, allow me to ask: what happens to the rest of the chicken when he/she is killed to harvest his feathers? Are we looking at another harp seal situation? Inquiring minds want to know.

I just did a brief search here and found this.

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=73795&hl=%2Bwhiting+%2Bchickens&do=findComment&comment=553661

Regards,

Mark

Tom Whiting is a brilliant man according to the Beattys who used to work with him. I was told all the chicken goes to fertilizer for the fields of grain they use to feed the chickens. Total recycling here. No part of these birds get eaten. Dr. Whiting isn't about to introduce problems with his methods. I wish I was half as bright as he is.

Bob