Fly Tying
DCM

renzetti traveler

I have a Renzetti Traveler...one of the plastic screws broke, and Renzetti wanted me to pay around $14 to replace it. First off, the screw shouldn't have broke, and second, I think it was pretty lame for them to make that much profit off of a replacement part. Overall, the vise is ok, but after my experience with Renzetti, I really don't like the vise at all.

If you want to buy it, I'll give you a good deal on it. Or to prove a point, I would be willing to trade it and some cash for a dyna king trekker...let's see how many people take me up on that...

Actually the Traveler is aluminum, not steel (except for the jaws). I have a Danvise and agree, it has been good for 3.5 years AND the jaws close perfectly parallel (unlike the Traveler), no need to find the sweet spot. The tip of the jaws is also finer than many other brands. I also have a Griffin Odyssey Cam that is very good and reasonable, with and 2-piece shaft, but it is not better than the Danvise – the jaws do not close parallel. I might need to look at the Peek.

Any C-clamp model and be used with a wooden base if you make a little 'bridge' at one end to hold the clamp. Turn the clamp upside-down before you attach it to the bridge - then insert your post. Lighter than a metal base, it only needs to have a footprint that is large enough – beyond the eye of the hook.

JUst like to add my views. I have been using the Renzetti Traveller for years now and absolutely LOVE the little critter. Just spent the last weekend at the Flytying Forum at Granby in Québec Canada demonstrating flytying. Once again I was using my Traveller. Almost everyone that visited my bench found the vice to be most exquisit. There are superb vices on the market today and I personally own a totl L.A.W vice..superb piece of engineering and a great vice to use especially if you are tying Classic Salmon flies. Having said all that...I still use my Renzetti Traveller for tying classic salmon flies...even on hooks up to 9/0 in size. I have posted a few pictures on this site already of these two flies (in the salmon and steelhead area) Take a peep and you will see the jaws of my trusty Traveller. Finally it is all down to personal preference so choose the one that best fits your needs.

Peter Dunne. Ireland

Just to be up front about my own bias, I have and love the Renzetti Traveler.

The best advice that I think anyone can give you regarding the buying of a vice is to try before you buy. I took a fly tying class at my local fly shop almost a year ago. I walked in on the first day with my clamp on Thompson vise. The store manager said it was a fine vise but he offered to let me try some of their other vises while in the class.

I started with the Dyna-King as it was the least expensive vise he had on his shelf. It was much nicer than my little Thompson, but I found it awkward to fit my large hands around the jaws and such. And I did not like the way the jaws held the hook. I know that one is purely a matter of personal preferance, but it was a factor in my decision.

The next vise I tried was the Traveler. I love this vise. I ended up buying it. I have never regretted my decision.

Now that was my decision and my experiance. Each of us could tell you want we like or don't like about the vise we have or another vise we have tried. But the fact is that you need to make your decision. To make the decision wisely, read all the comments the rest of us share. Notice what things people point out as the factors that affect their decision. For some it is the jaws. For some it is the length of the shaft/stem. For some it is pedistal vs. clamp. Then when you try out a vise, look at those things and see what works for you.

Try before you buy. If there is any way you can spend at least an hour tying on each vise you are considering, that will be the best investment you can make in a vise.

More later,

Ken S.