Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
green

first attempt at a royal coachmen wet fly

post-47417-0-90552000-1411342499_thumb.jpgpost-47417-0-62138300-1411342528_thumb.jpgpost-47417-0-01226900-1411342559_thumb.jpg

This is tied on a szie 8 hook. i did have to make a few substitutions for the tail i used pheasant tail and brown turkey feather for the wings. I think its not to bad for my first attempt if you have any suggestions id love to hear them.

Nice work on your first one, and great job showing the courage to share!

TC

attachicon.gifrc.JPGattachicon.gifrc1.JPGattachicon.gifrc2.JPG

This is tied on a szie 8 hook. i did have to make a few substitutions for the tail i used pheasant tail and brown turkey feather for the wings. I think its not to bad for my first attempt if you have any suggestions id love to hear them.

That is a nice first attempt. Not the traditional color(as shown in flytire's link) but I'm not experienced enough to offer a critique.

It is a "royal something" but without the signature white wings and golden pheasant tail tippits, it's not a royal coachman in my opinion. You can deviate all you want but at some point it ceases to be a "variation" and becomes something altogether different. What is the tipping point? When you still recognize the fly in spite of its differences. This is not recognizable as a royal coachman in my opinion.

That being said...nice tying for a first attempt. Keep up the good work. You'll only get better from here. ;)

Next time I order fly tying stuff IM going to get the white goose and the golden pheasant tippet. I can't pay shipping for 2 items. IM sure the fish won't mind.

Next time I order fly tying stuff IM going to get the white goose and the golden pheasant tippet. I can't pay shipping for 2 items. IM sure the fish won't mind.

Hi green,

If you want good quality goose or duck quills, Spirit River brand has some of the best. You can get a lot of junk that's practically unusable for tying quill wings these days and is almost a complete waste of money.

Regards,

Mark

Hi green,

If you want good quality goose or duck quills, Spirit River brand has some of the best. You can get a lot of junk that's practically unusable for tying quill wings these days and is almost a complete waste of money.

Regards,

Mark

Natures Spirit river has the absolute best quality duck quills. Get them from HOok and Hackle

not bad at all for your first time wings are hard to get right. you can have fun playing with patterns with coachmen i like to change the color of the floss.

here is a coachmen on a spey hook lol.

cant upload photo atm ill work on it tomorrow but hey it is all about having fun behind the vise!

That's why I do this. If I just wanted a fly I could buy one but I think it's a lot of fun being able to modify parts of a fly such as hook size or color. Sometimes it works sometimes not.

Sorry about that. Nature's Spirit is the brand you want. I just ordered a bunch from them this past month to boot.