Fly Tying

From the "Grandpa's Story" video, the tail is two or three fibers of GPT. Not half a dozen. Also the body on a "Traditional" Adams was wool yarn. Not waspsi superfine dubbing.

Fisherboy,

The Traditional Adams above is tied based on a fly tied in an article in the summer 2014 issue of Fly Tyer magazine it was written by Dennis Potter and is titled "Tie the Perfect Adams". The fly in the article uses a half dozen or so GPT fibers and superfine dubbing. I have seen "Grandpa's Story". I found it very interesting; however, using only two or three GPT fibers for the tail just doesn't give the fly the "bang" I am looking for and although the "Grandpa's Story" version of the Traditional Adams uses wool for dubbing, I find that superfine dubbing is a much better material for dry flies than wool.

I can tell that you have a passion for fly fishing and tying especially for a young man as yourself, don't lose that. You have an excellent eye for detail.

Thank you for your compliments.

I've never tied a dry fly... and this pattern should be my first dry fly that I will tie... thanks for sharing....

I was under the impression that the original was different. The Adams fly that originally came from Michigan didn't have Catskill wings.

I was born and raised in TC and had no idea the Adams originated from there. Nice bit of history!

There was a recent thread discussing what we call a fly when we know it is not exactly like the original. Example: there are hundreds of "clousers" that are nothing like the original, but still called "clouser". I sympathize with making variations in material... the originator may have been in Europe and used whatever sources of feather and fur he found locally, while a person in the U.S. might prefer to use more readily (and legally) available materials. That's cool, but then in respect for the originator I suggest we call it a "clouser variant" or "Adams variant".

But that's just my HO.