Fly Tying
jamesbrock3

Tied Up Bass Streamer

Haven't posted on here for awhile, but I saw this fly on YouTube (Don't remember the name) and decided to give it a go. Instead of using lazer dub for the head I used glow yarn. Your thoughts are appreciated!

post-48975-0-72173600-1413168509_thumb.jpg

Interesting fly. I'll be interested to know how it actually moves through the water. Looks like it might spin when pulled.

I don't use streamers (yet) but it's my understanding they're supposed to mimic baitfish, and baitfish are usually streamlined.... at least the pelagic ones.

How can you tell it's going to spin/wobble just by looking at the pic?

When I look at a fly pattern, I look at the weight/water pushing balance of it. Anything tied on a large hook will have a good "keel" effect and will usually ride hook point down. Lighter hooks, or smaller hooks won't "keel" as well.

The materials also make a difference. If they are evenly distributed around the hook with a lot of water resistance, the hook will have more tendency to spin. Lots of air resistance will cause spinning in the air, which can cause knotting of the leader, or an unwinding of the line on the water.

I've used that "problem" to make very lifelike movements with top water presentations. A small top water bug can do a proverbial barrel roll as the line unwinds. The bug just sits there and sends out ripples. WE see it spinning, the fish just sees it struggling, like a real dying bug.

I've had vicious strikes while that's happening.

With streamers, if it spins through the water, the fish might not mind, but the line will get twisted and usually knotted.

I've wondered why so many streamers are tied above the hook, instead of around it... seemed to me it would result in missed catches. Are they tied that way consciously so they won't roll?

As far as I know. It's why I tie material "on top" or "on bottom" (hook point side).

On top makes for a rudder type condition, keeping the fly "right side up".

On the bottom rotates the fly to ride hook point up, helping to be weedless.

Of course, this doesn't ALWAYS work ... but it works that way often enough for me.

Spun deer hair generally floats. Floating deer hair flies have exposed hooks (Maybe with a weedguard) and this provides the weight to keep the hook in the water. Most are also trimmed flat on the bottom ... exposes more hook gap for the fish, and helps to keep them oriented.