Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Randyflycaster

Uses for Gel Spun Thread?

I have a bunch of Gel Spun Thread that I bought for spinning hair. I read that the thread is too slippery for most other fly tying applications; so I'm curious: What other applications can I use Gel Spun for?

Thanks,

Randy

I have purchased some Gel Spun thread but I have not used it yet. From my understanding it is used mostly for spinning hair because it a stronger type of thread and it is not suppose to cut into the hair. I'd be interested to see what other uses it has myself as well.

Use it wherever you need the maximum strength for size, but where the "slick" character won't be a hindrance. Usually, a less expensive option is strong enough and easier to handle. I can't think of many instances where you couldn't use it, but dubbing with it would probably require a sticky wax, split thread or dubbing loop.

I've seen flyfishfood ( Curtis fry and Cheech on here) use it a few times. I think mostly when attaching the articulation wire on big streamers.

I think I saw someone use it as a thread midge body. Tied it in with 6/0 uni. Wrapped up to bead. Tied off. Dubbing color and whip finish the uni. Then clip both treads and you're done.

Take a 6 inch length of it. Wet it with nail polish or head cement and let it dry. Then use it for legs.

The thing is the denier of the thread you purchased. Spinning/stacking requires the big stuff say 120 or bigger. If your tying small dry's, you would get quite a bit of thread build up. I tie with 70 denier on most fly's, and for streamers, egg flys, and larger nymphs go with with 6/0 or 3/0.

The only thing I use it for other than spinning hair is streamers that have a lot of bulky materials. It is quite slippery, but you get used to it. The only thing I really dislike about it is trying to cut it with scissors. I keep an X-Acto with a sharp blade close by for when I need to cut GSP; it works much better. Add147 noted something about it not cutting into hair when spinning or stacking; that hasn't been my experience with it at all. I've had it cut through even very large stacks of hair when I was stacking bass bugs. It will certainly cut through the hair before it will break.

Since it's more expesive than my usual thread and it's slippery and harder to cut, I just use it for spinning hair and sometimes on egg flies.

Amen Bryan.....it will cut thru deer body hair and it will also cut your fingers. The only reason to use it to tie hair bugs is because it generally will not break and mess up a bug that is being tied. It will not break if you only put enough pressure on it to spin the hair and keep it firm on the hook. Excess pressure will cut the hair.

The only thing I use it for other than spinning hair is streamers that have a lot of bulky materials. It is quite slippery, but you get used to it. The only thing I really dislike about it is trying to cut it with scissors. I keep an X-Acto with a sharp blade close by for when I need to cut GSP; it works much better. Add147 noted something about it not cutting into hair when spinning or stacking; that hasn't been my experience with it at all. I've had it cut through even very large stacks of hair when I was stacking bass bugs. It will certainly cut through the hair before it will break.

Thanks for the heads up on it cutting into the hair. I have yet to use it so I now know not to sinch down on the stack to hard. I did tie a few deer hair poopers with some Kevlar but I did not sinch it down to hard so I never did experience any of my hair getting cut.

You can use it for legs or gills on nymphs, tie in place, trim to length and unspin with bodkin point to form gills, you will find it easier to trim with tension and a razor.