Fly Tying

August,

You will have to be more specific as to what you are referring to. Are you talking about head cement to finish a fly, gluing foam sheets together, coating the head on a Surf Candy or something else?

Steve

I only have 3 types of glue on my desk, super glue w/brush appicator, Sally's Hard as Nail, Glue Goo. So far these 3 have covered everything I have encountered.

The only glues that I use (mostly for eyes) are E-6000 and Crazy Glue (has brush applicator). I also use Sally Hansen and UV epoxy occationally to help keep things in place.

black duck traditional head cement

UV resin for streamer heads, chironomids etc.

Sally Hansen's hard as nails for over coating

Loctite brushable super glue for sticking things together

I use lock tite super glue with the brush when I'm in need to glue and Sally Hansen hard as nails for head cement

Brushable Super Glue

Sally Hansen

also have some Aileen's Fabric Fusion but haven't tried it yet on a fly. I did patch a pair of jeans, and the stuff seems to be a bit thicker consistency than the other two. Also slow drying.

Also still have some actual head cement from a fly shop but I don't remember the name (I'm 700 miles from home) and haven't used it for a couple of years.

Super glue, head cement, and I just picked up a bottle I loctite Glue2Go I am anxious to try.

I tried the glue 2 go. The bottle I got takes forever to dry. I got another bottle of loctite professional and it dries really fast. The glue 2go dries too slow for my taste but may be what you are looking for.

I tried the glue 2 go. The bottle I got takes forever to dry. I got another bottle of loctite professional and it dries really fast. The glue 2go dries too slow for my taste but may be what you are looking for.

It's definitely not super glue, I bought it mostly for eyes and heads. Not sure what's going on but as of late my super glue gel which I do like has been drying rather cloudy so I have glue2go as a substitute. We'll see what happens....

Super glue dries really cloudy for me as well but I like the durability of it so I continue to use it and just apply Sally's hard as nails over it as a finish coat. One the Sally's is applied all the cloudyness is gone.

Over time super glue will deteriorate in water - but I still use it almost every day for a variety of purposes.... If you're using any super glue water (or saliva) will kill its glue properties if it's still wet (very handy if you use a lot of the stuff and don't want to have fingers or other items stuck together by a slight contact with wet glue...).

Here are the various glues I use in saltwater tying...

Super Glue (99% of the time Krazy Glue in the original applicator) for anchoring a critical tying point, then as a finish glue on a thread whip finish or also as a sealer on thread to prep it for painted eyes....

Fletch-Tite -an arrow makers cement, it's the only stuff to use when gluing on plastic, holographic or any stick on eyes...

Sally Hansen Hard as Nails - not a glue but a very handy all purpose substitute for head cement - I use quite a bit of it on the heads of bonefish bugs...

Flex Coat - not a glue (it's actually a rodbuilder's finish and needs to rotate for two hours after application...) at all but a high quality head finish when you want a built up head finish... it's my final coat on any bug with painted eyes on a thread head.

Now for some pics - you'll note in the first pic that I actually use Krazy Glue almost like a paint brush when sealing a thread head for later painted eyes... The last pics show just how good that FlexCoat cures out....

post-30940-0-43423400-1413385346_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-93492400-1413385374_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-68224200-1413385407_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-05383400-1413385448_thumb.jpg

Super glue dries really cloudy for me as well but I like the durability of it so I continue to use it and just apply Sally's hard as nails over it as a finish coat. One the Sally's is applied all the cloudyness is gone.

I had no idea Sally's would clear it up. Thanks for heads up.

Brushable Super Glue

Sally Hansen

also have some Aileen's Fabric Fusion but haven't tried it yet on a fly. I did patch a pair of jeans, and the stuff seems to be a bit thicker consistency than the other two. Also slow drying.

Also still have some actual head cement from a fly shop but I don't remember the name (I'm 700 miles from home) and haven't used it for a couple of years.

Hey Flafly was at Florida fly fishing symposium and i talked with a guy who was making crease flys and he used fabric fusion as a gloss top coat what a great job it did it was super glossy and still soft im looking forward to useing it on my poppers