Fly Tying

Pickett PIn is a great example. Not a common fly, I doubt many of you have one. It is a great wet fly that is fished as a steamer too.

Pickett PIn is a great example. Not a common fly, I doubt many of you have one. It is a great wet fly that is fished as a steamer too.

Actually, I do & agree with you! biggrin.png

I have always (since I started fly fishing around 1980) liked "streamers" or bucktails in the Joe Brooks "Blonde" style. Can't say how many SMB, trout, crappies, walleye, and one of the two Atlantic Salmon I have ever caught came on them. The Clouser Deep Minnow style has largely replaced the Blonde style of bucktail, but they look and fish great.

Joel, good post! Joe Brooks was a favorite writer of mine. When he was writing for Outdoor Life I read everything he wrote & learned a great deal from him as a result. I remember an article where he mentioned using a big Blonde pattern for trout in a western river. Something that just wasn't done in those days.

I've got a few in my fly boxes as well, especially the Platinum. smile.png

I have been using Gartsides Marabou streamers for a number of years now. They are the most consistent streamer pattern I have used. I especially like the it with a cone head.

Steve

It depends a lot on the water I'm fishing. If I'm blind fishing a river I'll start with a Clouser Deep minnow, but if I'm fishing a river where Stripers or Hybrid Stripers, or Musky or Pike are known to be common, I'll start with a "High-Tie" Polar Aire streamer in 2/0 or bigger.

In slower parts of the river I start with a Black or Olive Wooly Bugger.

In smaller streams (smaller around here; they would be considered rivers in some states) I like to start with either a Wooly Bugger or a Grey Ghost.

In lakes my first choice is usually a white Zonker in size 4.

I still like the Matuka in various dark colors. I first fished one on the Yellowstone River in the park, just above buffalo ford, and my first fish was a 26" cutthroat. Most guys say they wouldn't bother to fish for cuts, but as for a fish that big, whats not to like!

My favorites are anything with a zonker strip, the patterns are endless so you can't go wrong. But I am definitely tying a lot more craft fur streamers with a bucktail head to add some profile bulk and they are quickly becoming my go to flies for warmwater fishing

For me I'd say the wooly bugger but I'm partial to it because it was the first fly that I learned,tied,and caught a fish with. I also like how there are so many variations with color and things you can add. It's just a good all around pattern in my mind for many fish from smallies to steelies. I mostly fish with streamers and nymphs right now and I'm hoping to expand to learning more dry flies and emergers and so forth. But I'll always keep a bugger in my box its a go to fly for me.

Denny Rickards Seal Bugger and a brown marabou leech (Hal Jansen). The seal bugger is basically a wooly bugger with seal substitute dubbing for a body instead of chenille. When I do fish streamers, it's mostly lake fishing for trout.