Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Cannonx4

Narrowed it down to two...

I can see a new vise in my future and I have it narrowed down to the Griffin Mongoose or the Anvil Atlas. Anyone tie on either of these? Got any pros or cons?

I tie on Anvil Atlas, and I'm very happy with it!

Tie everything from #32 all up to #4/0 (but can go even bigger) with no problem, it is also very solid built, rotates well and is generally very good to work with!

Haven't tried the Griffin Mongoose, so can't say anything about it, looks good though

I have them both...

Review on the Atlas and the Apex: http://www.flyfishfood.com/2013/12/wolff-vise-reviews.html

Review on the Mongoose: http://www.flyfishfood.com/2014/08/griffin-montana-mongoose-vise-review.html

I tie on the Mongoose 90% of the time, and any hook can achieve 100% positive lockout with minimal adjustments. While the Atlas is well made, the notch system in the jaw requires a bit of maneuvering to get a large hook to be seated properly.

Everyone is happy with their vise! smile.png Seriously, there is no such thing as an unbiased opinion about vises here. Some have tried several brands and have their preferences as which they like better but that's as far as it goes. In the end, it doesn't really matter if I like my Mongoose because you might not like it for different reasons. I think most American made vises are well made of durable materials and therefore are worth the money. I would definitely stay away from knock-offs from 3rd world countries and certain vises that have poor customer service and problems with jaw toughness. Beyond that, the designs are preference issues to be decided on by you alone. Whichever one you chose will be fine with me...as long as it's the Griffin

Well, Shoebopper, you just made an argument for asking people about their vises. It isn't so important whether they like their vise. What is important is the details and experiences they've noted. Does it rotate? Does it grasp all hooks well? Do the jaws hold up over time? Can you get replacement jaws? Do you get good service? Does it have ... (bells and whistles)? I like good reviews from people who seem knowledgeable based on their comments or my familiarity with them from past posts, and who stick to the details. I always keep in mind whether the reviewer comes from the perspective of a professional tyer who ties thousands of flies per year vs. an amateur who just does it for fun and isn't in any particular hurry. etc etc :-)

shoebop nailed it - a matter of personal preference. Nothing wrong with either of those vises. I tied on a Mongoose for many years, then switched to a Regal - not because there was anything wrong with the Mongoose; I just wanted to simplify. I know a couple of guys who tie on the old Thompson vises. They both do fantastic work. It's whatever you get used to. As shoebop said, most any American made vise will serve you well; it's just what you want as belss and whistles.

I would definitely stay away from knock-offs from 3rd world countries

If you're tying large quantities of flies, this statement might be true. But I've been tying on one for several years. I don't tie thousands of flies for sale or anything, just what I need for fishing, and it's held up well.

So, being happy with the vise you use is 100% personal opinion. As has been stated ... comparisons about the features of the vises are more important than whether one "likes" a particular vise.

I am just sitting here with nothing to do at the present, so disregard my ramblings as semi-boredom at work.

I would definitely stay away from knock-offs from 3rd world countries

If you're tying large quantities of flies, this statement might be true. But I've been tying on one for several years. I don't tie thousands of flies for sale or anything, just what I need for fishing, and it's held up well.

So, being happy with the vise you use is 100% personal opinion. As has been stated ... comparisons about the features of the vises are more important than whether one "likes" a particular vise.

I am just sitting here with nothing to do at the present, so disregard my ramblings as semi-boredom at work.

In other words..."You're as happy as a pig in slop!" :)

Well, Shoebopper, you just made an argument for asking people about their vises. It isn't so important whether they like their vise. What is important is the details and experiences they've noted. Does it rotate? Does it grasp all hooks well? Do the jaws hold up over time? Can you get replacement jaws? Do you get good service? Does it have ... (bells and whistles)? I like good reviews from people who seem knowledgeable based on their comments or my familiarity with them from past posts, and who stick to the details. I always keep in mind whether the reviewer comes from the perspective of a professional tyer who ties thousands of flies per year vs. an amateur who just does it for fun and isn't in any particular hurry. etc etc :-)

I can be pretty cynical at times. There is hardly any source that I trust to give me an unbiased opinion. Broadcast news networks can be as bad as infomercials these days. Hell, even the pulpit and Nat Geo channel are suspect. I have a hard time sifting out the bullshit and distill everything down to get to the truth. I just realized...I'm an old fart!ohmy.png

Flytire says we are all biased....

oh well, everyone generalizes.

Flytire says we are all biased....

oh well, everyone generalizes.

If I've told you once, I've told you a million times ... quit exaggerating!