Fly Tying
fishingbobnelson

Caddis For Christmas II

Did I send deer caddis? What was I thinking? Maybe not thinking, I believe with the deer they are considered a wet fly. uh oh. Now what? see if they float fishy bob maybe I didn't put on deer

Mine are also deer hair wing from a winter red deer shot in Rogart Highlands of Scotland. Mine definately float. I guess its the season and body position where the hair comes from but if it is hollow it floats.

Looks like we are going to have quite a few deer hair caddis. Mine are CDC and deer (an emerger style). I use them quite a bit so you can't have too many as far as I'm concerned.

While you guys are all waiting for the emergence I have a cased caddis weighted with 8 wraps of .20 lead (that's not that heavy) to work the lower level, then when they go into the pupa stage and escape from their case I have an extra fly that Ted Trueblood developed and is for the travel from the cased bottom level to the surface before emerging. I always admired Ted Trueblood and his articles and those written about him and since the fly was developed by him it has to be a winner.

Mine should go out tomorrow and for the rest of the month it's working on the Secret Santa project. More work there than I thought there'd be tho I do have a good matrix laid out to help with the sorting and wife has committed to helping with the wrapping.