Fly Tying
shoebop

Profile Information

Am I missing something?

Are you like me? I like to look sometimes at various peoples profiles to learn a bit more of who they are and where they live. It sometimes helps in giving a response to a question. But it seems that a lot of folks are afraid to say anything at all about themselves. Not even if they are male or female. What's up with that? What are they afraid of? You aren't giving you SSN or your credit card number or even your address. I always feel a bit warmer to someone who is a little less guarded about themselves. Maybe I'm just naive.

I agree! At least, post:

Where in the country you are, so we know whether you have trout streams, etc.

Your fly tying/fishing history (how long)

What you like to fish for, and how

Its a weird one. I'm not too keen on posting info but I'd be the same in the flesh. Learnt it can be best to be a little guarded in this world. Saying that I do wish I'd gone with my name for my user ID. Feels weird calling people by their handle, especially when you have been in lots of swaps with them etc.

i also like my privacy (and short blondes :))

nobody would care less if i posted an online profile.

its really a non issue

i have over 14,000 profile looks and always wonder why? what are you looking for?

I've noticed since I've been using a smart phone to access forums, my stumpy fingers often access the profile, or some other area I'm not really after.

First observation:

I believe most people who don't have profile information listed just never went to that section. If they did, they just didn't want to take the time to fill in the info.

Second observation:

I agree with Shoe that everyone SHOULD go in there and list a few things. Your location is what I usually go to see. If you've posted something about catch rates or fly types that work better, etc. ... I sometimes go to see where you live to see if anything applies to me.

Third observation:

Not listing information on profiles to protect your privacy is like having sex on a beach under a blanket. You might feel like your alone, but anyone who wants to lift the blanket is going to see everything. If someone wants your info, they aren't going to get it on some profile page ... they're going after the sources.

Flytire

I agree with Mike. It's helpful when answering or responding to someone to have some idea as to where they are, how long they've been tying, etc. Whenever something is said that opens that question in my mind, or when a newbie introduces themselves but doesn't provide any info, I go to their profile to see if it answers anything.

I think Mike has a good grip on this. I agree, but I may be a little hazy about the blanket thing. That would have been in the late 60's - early 70's.

Definitely a hazy period.

I have often wondered about this myself. I understand that the web can be a great thing and there is a lot of good folks out there but there is also a lot of bad people looking for any and every way to take you for what ever they can. I do wonder why some members don't at least mention a few details about themselves. What harm can be done by telling what fish you like to chase and at the least, what region that you like to chase them in? I don't understand why someone doesn't want to say if they are male of female either, unless they are unsure and might be thinking of changing their present gender either by just dressing differently or taking the plunge and laying down on the operating table. A brief mention of the things that interest you doesn't seem to me to be divulging too much information either, unless you fall into the previously mentioned category, and then we probably don't really want to know. Things of interest such as art or music or being a car nut might be something that a fellow member could relate with and start up a friendship other than fly fishing oriented.

I tend to put my guard up a degree or two when someone is unwilling to share the bare minimum about themselves and it takes me a while to let that guard down. I know that everyone has their own opinion on this subject but it does make me stop and wonder about things.

I do agree with Mike that some may have either not took the time or totally overlooked the section completely. I kind of understand the blanket comparison but I'm not really that kind of guy.....I am a bit shy so I would either go under the boardwalk in the shadows or wait for nightfall and go behind the dunes. Yeah Chase Creek, the 70's were a bit hazy............

I had to go check to see if I took the time to fill in my profile. Since I forgot my blanket, I have nothing to hide anyway.

I think you can tell a lot about about a person by their responses (or lack of response) to topics on the forum. a profile is not required for that

(better go update my profile so you will all feel better)

I've noticed since I've been using a smart phone to access forums, my stumpy fingers often access the profile, or some other area I'm not really after.

I've done this numerous times as well on my Ipad.

I agree with most here, It's helpful sometimes to have a little info to answer a question or give advice. (Not that I'm a big advice giver, I mostly ask for it...)

Flytire, nice profile update! biggrin.png