Fly Tying
breambuster

November Swap Club

Hey Guys, my mind has been on other things the past few days, but I think I'm back to business as usual. I need to acknowledge some sets of flies that have come in during the past few days and I appreciate your patience with me. This are in no certain order.

First, we have a set of great little flies by Jolly Red called a "Turkey Tail Nymph." It's a neat little bead head fly that will be a great addition to your trout box.

Next, we have a "King's River Caddis" by Kennebec12. I almost slammed the lid back down when I first opened these to keep them from flying out! Wait until you see these. I can't wait to throw this one at some hungry trout.

And third, we have a really nice looking soft hackle from Joseph Russell that will definitely get the job done! It's going to have a special place in my fly box.

Thanks, guys, for the flies and for the extras. VERY much appreciated.

Take care

BB

I just placed mine in the mail this morning. Thanks BB for hosting and all of your time and effort!!! Hope you and your family has a SAFE and Happy Thanksgiving!!!!

Mine will be in the tomorrow.. Actually had a hard time finding a pattern I was interested in tying and my imagination was non existent so nothing to get to awful excited about from me.

Hey Guys. I need to acknowledge some flies that have come in over Thanksgiving. First, there are some turkey tail bead heads from J-Kno. These are some sweet flies. Thanks, j-Kno! Next there are TWO really neatly tied, SMALL flies from Crackleback. And then there some really fine Muddlers from our newest member, Add147. Add, the corner of your box tore the envelope, but everything arrived fine. But you may want to consider a thinner box next time. An Altoids box works great. Only a couple of dollars at Wally World. I prefer cinnamon or Wintergreen, but Peppermint works also. :-)

Hey Guys. I need to acknowledge some flies that have come in over Thanksgiving. First, there are some turkey tail bead heads from J-Kno. These are some sweet flies. Thanks, j-Kno! Next there are TWO really neatly tied, SMALL flies from Crackleback. And then there some really fine Muddlers from our newest member, Add147. Add, the corner of your box tore the envelope, but everything arrived fine. But you may want to consider a thinner box next time. An Altoids box works great. Only a couple of dollars at Wally World. I prefer cinnamon or Wintergreen, but Peppermint works also. :-)

Okay...Thanks for the heads up! I really liked tying the Muddlers. It took me several tries on these suckers but I did not give up. I hope everyone enjoys them.

add, if you got through a bunch of Muddlers you're doing better with hair than I am. I've done a few just to get the idea down but my problem is where I tie I can't deal with the mess of shaving hair very well. I have a corner of the guest bedroom and if I thought marabou left a lot of mess working with that trimming stacked hair is the ultimate in mess. Thinking maybe do like one guy said he did and do the stacking, then take them outside with scissors and cut the main shape out before remounting in vise and trimming with blade. Maybe even use a clamp stand and do the trimming on the porch. Yeah...that might work.

When I see guys who've sent me flies with different colors and patterns wove thru the clipped hair I am simply amazed. Even tho bass is one of the things I have to fish for here I'd never risk throwing one of those in the water. Too nice. I have plenty of plain old bugs to use and those are for display items to me.

Well I have a 12 x 24 shop that I tie in so my wife can't gripe at me for making a mess. Plus when I get finished trimming everything I just turn on the shop vac and vacuum all the hair up. I have only been tying since March I and just started spinning hair since the summer. The trick that I have found to be useful is you have to use a good clump of hair. I once I get the desired effect I then take my double edge razor and begin to shape the head. After that I then use my sharp pointed scissor to finish up the trimming. Also leave well enough along, just quit cutting and cutting or you well mess up the head and you will have to start all over again. I did that several times too! I guess I did okay on the Muddlers. First time I have ever tied them and I did strip several hooks before I got at least 13 good ones. I just hope the other folks will like them...LOL

I will most definitely will tie some more...Hopefully I will be able to use them in a few weeks!

Thanks to our wonderfully efficient postal service, on the 9th day of holding a set of flies, they were finally delivered today. Yay! Don't be surprised if the postal service has another rate increase soon. They are going to need the money in order to provide more storage facilities. They have to have some place to keep all that mail while they are waiting a week to deliver it.

Seriously, I love picking at the postal service, but they really do a good job, most of the time. And I'm not the most patient person in the world; just ask my wife.

We have a very nice, small bead head that is sure to drive the denizens of the deep nuts. Thanks IMX. Great job.

I'll do my best to get them divided and back into the mail tomorrow.

Take care

BB

The flies arrived today. Thanks everyone, they all look great, and a BIG thanks to Breambuster for doing an awesome job hosting.

Got mine in yesterday. Looks like the bluegill around here will be eating turkey next summer! Great looking flies, everyone.