Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Swamp Fly

Tap, tap, tap...

...this thing on? Ah yes, good!

Greetings from SW Florida! Land of The Mighty Snowbird and infamous land developers (oh wait, the developers don't actually live here they just screw it up more...). It's also home to some wonderful fishing if you ignore the zoo that is called Boca Grande Pass.

Great Site you have here! I tried to join about a year ago but I ran into some problems that I just could not resolve (thanks for trying Steeldrifter). I tried again recently and the system told me yet again that I could not use my email for a second account(!!!???), so on a whim I had the system send me a "new" password (again). Worked this time! Not sure why all of a sudden, but presto, here I am.

I started fly fishing in the early 80s in the Tidewater area of Virginia and immediately bought a tying kit from Bass Pro Shops. That was still from the time when the clothes and knicknack to actual outdoor gear ratio was reversed from today. That first hair bug looked more like something a cat would hack up, but the bass in the lake we lived on ate it so It's been downhill ever since. LOL! I will tie and fish for everything from tarpon to brookies.

In saltwater, tarpon are probably my favorite fish to love/hate. I see a tarpon roll, especially "baby" tarpon, and it's like an ADD kid hopped up on cotton candy in a ball bearing factory that just had a major spill. You know what I'll be doing for the next couple of hours! I also love snook, fun critters. Ladyfish, bluefish, jacks, speckled trout, snapper, macs are all part of the plan. You say I left out redfish? Yeah, well I think I had a redfish apply "redfish hater pee" on me while wading years ago and it still hasn't worn off! Redfish hate me for some reason, I return the favor out of spite (grin). I've been living in Florida since '89 and I'd be surprised if I've caught a dozen in that time.

On the freshwater side Bass are always fun, I giggle like a schoolgirl when I get into big bream on top (that's sunfish for the folks further north). Specks(crappie) are a hoot but I rarely target them exclusively, they are blast when they find me. Probably my favorites are the exotic panfish we have here in south Florida. When the water level forces all of the fish into the canals down in the Everglades the fish go absolutely nuts. Food completion is extreme. It really stops being called fishing, it is actually catching! In 10-12 hours of fishing, 300-400 fish a person is not unheard of. If you don't get grabbed in a few casts, check your fly something is wrong. The Oscars and Myan Chiclids will also pull a big 'gill through the water sideways. They are also one of the few fish I will keep on a regular basis since they don't belong here anyway. It's a world class bass fishery too, 100 plus fish is easy.

Enough about me though. Since I'm new here, I'll have a gin and tonic with lime while I watch the show please!

Thanks. I've spent some time stomping around Kettle Creek etc. Having done it in years, I miss it.

Welcome from Missouri. I lived in Boca Raton for a while, so I understand about the snowbirds and developers.

steve aka, spm

Thanks everyone. I need to do some tying soon so I'll post some pics when I do. Piker, yes it's this time of year that I'm glad I only visit Europe.