Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
zairusdee

My first clouser minnow - Olive Clouser Minnow #2

Hi All,

Since last week, I've been searching a materials for tying my first clouser minnow. Once I have all the materials, last night, I have tied my first clouser minnow using buck tail for the first time.

DSC_0004_resize_zpsac6f6a4f.jpg

I would like to call this Olive Clouser Minnow on hook size 2. Initially, I have planned to use chartreuse color, unfortunately the chartreuse buck tail is sold out. Then, after think over and over, I've decided to use darker color but not to dark. So I choose Olive buck tail. For the belly I still choose like the common which is the white buck tail.

Most of the fly tying video that I saw in youtube is using dumbell eye for their clouser minnow. I don't know some how, I really love to use black bead chain as an eye for my clouser minnow. It just look great for my eye view and hopefully same for the fish.

This morning this Olive Clouser Minnow is tested on freshwater pacific tarpon and it's working fine. Got a lot strike and at last managed to catch one 28cm pacific tarpon. Hopefully this is also work fine on my landbase saltwater fishing that I've planned at the end of this year where between 26th-31st Dec this year.

DSC_0006_resize_zps1ca65897.jpg

Cheers.

Sham,

Nice work. Bead chain eyes are fine. It's what I use all the time. I am rarely fishing deeper than 6 feet ... so I don't need the weight to get it down quickly or deeply.

Lead dumbbell eyes will get your clouser down quicker. They might also help to turn the fly hook point up, to make it a little more weed resistant.

As JS said ... looks like your choice of colors and eyes worked just fine.

That's a great clouser! Even got the eye located properly. I really like the black bead chain eye. That one should do fine in saltwater for just about anything... speckled trout, snook, etc. I've even had flounders chase them right up to the boat!

...on the other hand, now that I've looked at your profile, I guess you don't have those particular fish in Malaysia... but I'll bet you have plenty that will go for your clouser.

Nice tie.....The bead chain eye flies are a lot easier to cast than the ones with lead but sometimes are not heavy enough for deeper water or in current. I use a lot of bead chain in 3 different sizes.

Hi,

Thanks for the positive feedback. Look so simple in the youtube. But it's not really that simple actually. Last night I tied another 4 just for practice session. And so suddenly I have a feeling that I'm going to upgrade my vise to rotary type. It's quite troublesome to tie this using normal vise... smile.png

IMG_20141211_090039_resize_zps850a06e2.j

and here some action using this clouser minnow...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIUeoSh-7HU

Sham, very cool video & your flies look excellent too! One small point & I know you may be limited to what materials you have available, but take note of the thickness of the olive hair compared to the white. When possible, use a thinner hair. It will provide a better motion/action to the fly particularly for smaller size hooks. A size #2 is a decent size, but not a big hook for that thicker hair. Deer tail hair is great tying material, but can vary greatly in both length & hair thickness. Of course, if that's all you have available you have to go with it! smile.png

When I need bucktail hair I look for the finest texture I can find, even if that sometimes means it won't be as long. I'l take a thinner hair that provides better motion over a longer fly most any day! That thicker hair is still useful, but on much bigger size flies if you tie them large. wink.png

Sham, very cool video & your flies look excellent too! One small point & I know you may be limited to what materials you have available, but take note of the thickness of the olive hair compared to the white. When possible, use a thinner hair. It will provide a better motion/action to the fly particularly for smaller size hooks. A size #2 is a decent size, but not a big hook for that thicker hair. Deer tail hair is great tying material, but can vary greatly in both length & hair thickness. Of course, if that's all you have available you have to go with it! smile.png

When I need bucktail hair I look for the finest texture I can find, even if that sometimes means it won't be as long. I'l take a thinner hair that provides better motion over a longer fly most any day! That thicker hair is still useful, but on much bigger size flies if you tie them large. wink.png

Thanks...

Noted. When you mentioned about it then only I have noticed that the olive hair is quite thick. No wonder i don't feel good look at it. Feel like something is not right but just don't know what it is. I didn't know about it and just like you said, I don't have much options since nearby my hometown there are no fly fishing shop. All my fly fishing or tying material is buy online. So I just cannot simply choose properly the materials that I want to buy.

Neat video, were those fish rising all around you or things falling from trees?

It's fish rising all around... the pacific tarpon boiling...