Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Eric Hanson

Hello from the PNW

Hello Everyone,

I grew up in Michigan and fly fished the lakes and rivers around my hometown; AuSable, Thunderbay, Manistee, etc. Since then I've fished in England, Montana, and Utah. Picked up tying while I lived in the Black Hills of South Dakota. Now I live in Washington and am still tying although I don't fly fish as much as I used to. My goal this coming year is to catch a ling cod on the fly.

As for my tying, I tie a lot of saltwater, steelhead, and trout flies. I do custom orders when I can but don't do the true production tying...I get too bored after about 10 dozen. My goals in flytying are to someday have some contract flies, maybe tie at a couple conventions, and write a book about tying.

Here's some of my handiwork...

post-54582-0-42466300-1418879767_thumb.jpgpost-54582-0-46719500-1418879813_thumb.jpgpost-54582-0-01614700-1418880106_thumb.jpgpost-54582-0-27295900-1418879720_thumb.jpg

Welcome from a fellow Michigander! I sure like the ties you posted. Looking forward to seeing more.

Hi Eric ,

Just had to reply ,

Did write a bunch (new to reply-so , if this is double some how-how , my appoligies ) ;

Wonderful thought , growing up in Gibsons , Seaschult (Canada) area , luved to catch Ling , not up to date but think closed every time i think about it , cool , interesting , only concerns on "one-way" fish if in depth. on rock fish , don't remember and Ling adverse reaction from deep .

Would Luv ta know any thoughts and how you're making out with any patterns , "please" let me let me know , extremely interested !!!

Glad You're here.

Welcome to the site. I love the look of the bead heads in the last picture. Are those woven bodies, or scud back over foam? I'd like to see close ups of those.

Do the Ling Cod come in shallow enough for fly fishing? I was in Seattle and Cape Disappointment in September, and all I caught was sculpins.

They're Cajun ticklers, and they are woven. I like those too... always planned eventually to make one, but since you have so many, maybe you could spare one? :-) (I got no self-respect)

Welcome to the site. I love the look of the bead heads in the last picture. Are those woven bodies, or scud back over foam? I'd like to see close ups of those.

Do the Ling Cod come in shallow enough for fly fishing? I was in Seattle and Cape Disappointment in September, and all I caught was sculpins.

Flafly is correct...Cajun Ticklers using overhand knot weave. Here's a closeup using brighter colors.

cajun2.jpg

cajun3.jpg

Thanks. The weave you mention is the same as macrame. My sister, an art teacher, taught me how to do macrame decades ago. I'll have to try it, soon.