Fly Tying

Smalliehunter's Smallmouth Fly Swap #2

Gary,

I think that you missed the point that Ken was trying to get acrossed. Wrap the hackle clockwise, and the rib over top of it counterclockwise.

skunked,

If you are using lead dumb bell eyes, skip the lead. The whole break through that Bob Clouser made with that fly was the front heavy action. It gives a fly a darting drop, just like a real minnow.

I don't know about the rest of the guys here, but I'm really enjoying the excitment that these new tyers are bringing to the site and tying in general. Great to have new energized blood around.

Art

skunked,

No lead. Even a better idea would be to do a little experiment. Tie two flies up, one with and one without. Toss them into any clear water and give them a few quick strips. Take a look at the action and decide which one gives the better action.

Damn the internet. I read so many web pages that it is impossible for me to remember where I read that article.. mad.gif I will quote Bob here loosely.." In observing bait fish sensing trouble they would shoot and dart to the bottom to avoid danger. This is a major trigger to strike for predator fish." (Sorry Bob if I've misquoted you).

For smallies last year, this was my go to fly in the early summer. Due to the cost of dumb bell eyes, I tried the fly with bead chain eyes with marginally results.The bead chain just didn't have enough weight for the 'ducking for cover' movement that makes this fly so deadly. Ido believe though that the machined eyes will have enough weight to achive this motion.

Art

QUOTE (skunked @ Feb 11 2005, 11:15 PM)
Art- or anyone else knowlegeable,

They are machined dumbell eyes, sould I still not use the lead?

I have tied many clousers. I learned from the store manager at my local fly shop. I would definitely describe him as knowlegable.

The only weight on the clouser is the eyes. I use the small lead dumbell eyes, painted red with black dots on each end. No lead on the hook. As Art described, the real beauty of a clouser minnow is the way the weight of the eye's makes this fly move like a jig. You do not want to try to "balance" the fly. Another thing that I personally see as a big advantage is that the eyes make the hook ride with the point up, aka. snag free.

I like to cast a clouser just beyond an eddy in the stream/river. I slowly retrieve it until it just enters the slack water of the eddy and then I let it drop into the "hole". If it does not get taken on the fall, it get's down to the bottom and sits hook point up so it does not snag. Twitching it once or twice can sometimes entice a hit. Otherwise, I slowly drag it out of the eddy and back into the current. If there is a fish in that hole, they often hit the clouser as it raises back into the current. Sort of a grab it before it get's away.

Dang, now I want to go fishing. Come on spring thaw.

More later,

Ken S.

Hey Clouser fans,

I know this thread is about a fly swap (I was out of town and did not get in) but let me share a little about clousers.

I live in central PA; 20 minutes from Bob Clouser’s (the inventor of the Clouser Minnow) fly shop and have got the information from the horse’s mouth so to speak.

The concept of the eye's being the only weight in the front is correct. The clousers you buy from fly shops, even in Bob's shop all have about the same amount of hair tied to them.

If you look at the clouser minnows Bob fishes with, they have half as much hair. Bob ties them very sparse, but they do not look effective. He said customers will not buy the sparsely tied flies, so he adds a little more hair to please them.

Bob spends more time fishing for Smallmouth than anybody I know, He said the sparsely tied clousers have a translucent quality and catch more Smallmouth than the fuller tied patterns.

I fish the Susquehanna (only minutes from home) quite often, and I will testify to Bob Clouser’s sparse minnow patterns. One of the best flies ever designed.

Conehead,

All right, I’ll admit it, those Clouser barbell eyes outfish coneheads, but don’t tell anyone.

How sparse are we talking about? I would rather tie some that will catch the fellow swappers some fish than one that looks pretty. I take it the visible hook doesn't bother the smallies too much?

I was wondering the same as I was tying Cat's Whiskers last night.... I was trying to keep the marabou volume down some (as per advice received on this forum) but was thinking that the first ones I tied with long, flowing, fluffy wings and tails were much nicer looking.

Then I thought that the swappers may appreciate a fish-catcher more than a wall-hanger, so I forced myself to keep the fluff trimmed.

Here's hoping that Bass prefer function over form biggrin.gif

Cheers!

Gary

This discussion of Clouser minnows is interesting and valuable. I started a new discussion thread in the "tying bench" forum. I called it "How Sparse?" That may get a few additional opinions other than those of us watching this swap. And it will let us keep this swap thread more focused on the swap. Please pop over and add your two cents worth.

Ken S.

Heya Swappers!

Well, I managed to string together 16 bundles of chenille and feathers.

What I'm going to do now is keep tying the same fly (practice makes perfect and I bought 24 sets of eyes so I may as well) and replace the not-so-good ones with slightly-better-than-not-so-good ones. (Now that I think of it, I had better get more eyes! LOL)

What I'd like to know from the participants of this swap is which flies from this first bunch of 16 appear to be the most fishable (which ones would you most like to tie on a line)?

As you can see, there's a few really "thin" ones (near the right side) and one really fluffy one (top row, 4th from right) and a bunch that are in-between.

Here's the link:

16 (+1) Cat's Whiskers

Once I get some feedback on the best fish-getters (I guess all we're talking about is the amount/volume of marabou) I will aim to tie a bunch more of similar proportions and pick the best for the swap.

Thanks!

Gary

WOW!! All lined up, and in orderly ranks. Some are too heavy, some are to thin and the reast are just right. I personally like the ones that are on the left side of the big boy. Hint: once they hit a swapper return box, they become individuals and the slight differences don't matter anymore. Looking really good there Gary.

Art

Can't help it Art: It's the military in me...

Thanks for the input. I kinda figured after I posted my question that if some were too big and some were too small, then the good ones would be in-between... Duhhh!

I guess I'll have to work on the confidence thing, huh?

Anyway, next time I'll line 'em up in (aircraft) formation instead of like a parade tongue.gif

By the way, here are a couple of photos I took of a special fly that I tied just for the swapmeister, as a way of saying "thanks" for letting me join this one.

Think it'll catch any Smallmouth?

Smallie's Special 1

Smallie's Special 2

Cheers!

Gary

QUOTE (Gary Madore @ Feb 13 2005, 10:33 AM)
Well, I managed to string together 16 bundles of chenille and feathers.

Nicely done Gary.

In all seriousness, I would be happy with any of them. I don't think you ought to replace any of these.

If I had to pick one, I would go with one like the bottom right corner. The wing lays back very nicely. The tail is a not too bushy. And the body is a nice even wrap without too much bulk. The proportions look good (longer wing, tail not too long). OMO. YMMV

Ken S.

P.S. I counted 17 of them. smile.gif That must be like the "bakers 16".

QUOTE (kschu @ Feb 13 2005, 12:23 PM)
P.S.  I counted 17 of them.  smile.gif   That must be like the "bakers 16".

Ken,

Wow: I must have gotten out of control this morning.... a real wrappin' fool! LOL

Ahyup: It's a "Swapmeister's 16" (or 17th, as it were....) I edited the link above smile.gif

Cheers!

Gary