Fly Tying
kjwhit

Dubbing - Hendrickson

First attempt at tying a catskill style Hendrickson for northern Michigan. As a new fly tyer I don't yet posses the experience to substitute from the "recipes". What I seem to need is Hendrickson colored australian possum. I am having trouble locating that as an individual item. I do have a couple of dispensers of Hare - Tron and Micro Fine in various colors.

I would like to try the australian possum if you can give me a lead on where to purchase it in the Hendrickson pink or a reasonable substitute.

Thanks in advance.

I have been able to find australian possum dubbing, just not in hendrickson pink. Too picky? What color dubbing is good for a Hendrickson?

As a new fly tyer I don't yet posses the experience to substitute from the "recipes".

If you're tying to display, then you might be correct ... experience is needed to recreate the exact look.

If you're tying to fish ... then you can try anything. Google pictures of what you need, then grab anything you have that "looks" similar. Dryer lint, plastic feather duster strands or other animal furs for example.

In my experience, not ALL Hendricksons (or other mayflies,) are the same color. Some will show a little more pink than others. Hendrickson Pink dubbing marketed by three or four different companies will be slightly different. Since the bugs can vary, you really need to capture some of the bugs from your home water and try to match that. Of course the hatch is still a long way off, so your better to start with some shade of tan with just a "hint" of pink in it. Buy a pack or two of H. pink Super fine dubbing of different brands. Then two shades of light tan, and vary the amount of tan and pink. Tie at least 3 of each blend.

I have Pale Morning Duns, and Blue Wing Olives in quite a few different shades of Olive, some with tan and gray in the dubbing. Some are almost completely tan. The BWO I use most is gray not olive at all. Out west, the variation in PMD and BWO hatches is considerable, Check with some knowledgeable local sources for just what the hatching duns look like in your area.

Most of the time the fish couldn't care less; they are hungry. We usually tie for us and not what we are fishing for. Pick a nice dubbing material, and tie it. :)

Ray