Fly Tying
Blackhawk53

Introductions:

Hello All,

I just wanted to drop in and say Hi. My father started me in fishing on the small streams of North Central Pennsylvania where catching a legal (7 inches at the time) Brooke or Rainbow seemed to me to be an unenviable task that took ALL DAY!

Fast forward 40 years or so, and even after loosing Dad six years ago, I fish any chance I can get and love the tranquility and peace it brings.

My name is John, and I have been fishing with ALL equipment since I was about three. (I have the video..lol) and I don't know why but I have never tried tying my own flies.

Sooooo I just ordered a tying vise and some materials and the Orvis fly tiers beginner book, I may need some magnifiers also as my eyes aren't what they used to be.

I joined this forum in the hopes of making new friends and learning a bit about Making Bait.

John

Great place to learn and enjoy camaraderie in the fishing sports. Glad you could join us!

How did I miss this one.

Welcome to the site, Blackhawk. Any relation to the helicopter ... or just a cool name?

This is the right place to learn fly tying. There's even aliens like Shoe, who can help you tie baits for blargif flecther fish from his home planet.

Okay, I now have in my hands;

1. The Orvis Guide to Beginning Fly Tying

2. Cabellas Basic Fly Tying Material Package

3. Cabellas Travel Fly Tying Kit

Okay the travel kit from Cabellas was not as nice as I would have liked but I like the small case.

IMHO the material kit was over-priced but I'm anxious... so there.

now I'm theoretically ready to tye fly's.... any suggestions or should I just try Brass nymph's etc.

I don't know why but I'm suddenly nervous about starting.!

The tying kit you bought should have supplied you with the materials to tie a few specific flies. Start with those. After that you can branch out to tie some other patterns.

Okay well, I wanted to start tying right off, but I have been re-introduced to a life lesson:

Sometimes spending a little more will get you a significantly better product.

I like the Cabela's travel tying kit, and most of the tools seem adequate, but when trying to assemble the vise the first time I found that the tolerances and paint on the post would not allow me to put the vise into the pedestal.

Sooooo instead of returning it, (shipping would be almost as much as buying another one), and instead of tying flies... I have been sanding the fittings until I can assemble the thing.

it's going slow because I don't want to use power tools and risk taking off too much, but with a little more work I should be tying some San Juan worms and practicing whip finishing.

Depending on where you are located, someone might be able to help with some hands on training as well. Sandy, OR here if your anywhere nearby...