Fly Tying
Swamp Fly

Sick last week so...

Well I was supposed to take the wife down to the Everglades and canoe the Turner River on New Years Day. Well on New Years Eve it felt like someone had glued sandpaper to the back of my throat for my tonsils to rub across. After a few days of semi delirium my head finally cleared enough to see straight but standing up for more that a quick trip to the kitchen or bathroom was out of the question. Wanting to keep boredom induced insanity at bay I decided to start restocking my panfish flys for the upcoming season. Started with some panfish buggers in size 10. These are meant to be chewed on so I just cranked them out as you can see by the trimmed to size hackle barbs on some of them. I still have a lot of tying to do, but it's a start.

20150105_182635.jpg?gl=US20150105_182900.jpg?gl=US20150105_182930.jpg?gl=US20150105_183035.jpg?gl=US

Those are great looking buggers. 3rd picture.. the chartreuse bugger, what is that hackle used? It's got nice barring to it.

They're not good looking.... they're beautiful! You look like you could spare a few... :-)

Thanks everyone. It's a quick simple tie. I never seem to use the same materials twice when I tie these up, sometimes I dub the bodies, sometimes use chenille, sometime angle hair, sometime midge kristal flash, sometimes arctic fox, etc. Sometimes I use dumbbell eyes instead of bead chain, I've used beads on a longer hook as well. I weighted half of them with tin wire this time so I can cover the water column better. The bream don't care most days and the exotics are just plain mean to anything smaller than they are anyway. The super bright ones are for days when the fish are super aggressive, I can see those disappear at distance a bit better.

@ Thirstea: That is a dyed Ewing saddle hackle that I probably picked up on sale sometime. Great feathers and no need to use the pricier stuff here. ETA: The rest of the flys are tied with Whitting American Hackle.

@Miketheknife: The hooks are 3609B but whatever you have on hand. Most of my panfish are actually tied on cheap 3366s, I like the fact that that they are softer and I can open them up on 10lbs tippet rather than disturb the area with my boat or loose the fly. Quick bend with a pair of needle nose pliers and I'm back in business. I just grabbed the 3609b box this time.