Fly Tying
Sheepdog8404

First tries at a PMX

PMX is a challenging tie, but it appears you're right back in the swing. Well done.

My only criticism: I'd prefer that the hackle were tied off behind the hook eye, since tying off on the post has placed the hackle a bit high above the body for me.

I thought the same thing in regards to the hackle's height on the post. But being relatively new to parachutes, I wasn't sure how to tie off behind the eye after wrapping down the post... Maybe I'm over thinking it?

Thanks for your critique, by the way!

I've been tackling that issue a bit lately. I like tying off onto the post and just try to use 2, 3 turn whip finishes and then try to carefully place a drop or two of head cement to the base of the post/whip knot. That way not build-up of a lot of thread under the hackle.

Really like the way those look though - like the sort of combination of stimulator/with legs and parachute aspect.

BCT

Thanks, bud! The way you described to finish your flies is exactly how I've been doing mine. Trying to keep the number of wraps down so I don't get a huge stack of thread underneath the hackle. Thanks for the critique, BCT!

try this method for tying off parachutes. Tie your hackle off with about three turns of thread on the post. Then jump your thread to the eye of the hook build a small head and the whip finish. just remember when you jump the thread keep it under tension. Couple other minor critiques would be use less material on the tails and the parachute. Flies look great.

Nice Job! I am haven't attempted a PMX yet but plan to in a couple months. I would be really happy with those personally!

I appreciate all the comments! I realized my parachutes were a bit on the thick side and tied up a few more with about half the material. I'm all out of dry fly hooks so no more of these for me till I can get some more.

Very nice! I'm a fan of tying off on the post. Often don't do any whip finishes, just a dot of superglue and then wrap through it a few times. Let the bobbin hang while it sets and snip off. Sometimes follow it up with some head cement, but not always. Haven't had one come undone yet :)

[sarcasm Alert!] These flies are completely unfishable, please send them to me, for proper disposal. [sarcasm/]

All kidding aside (unless you want to send them to me...lol) They look really good!

Hi Everyone

Newbie here

I secure the feather to the post with the normal thread. Once I have finished the body I whip finish the fly and cut the thread. I then re position the fly in the vice so the parachute is horizontal to the desk and at the base of the post I tie in some 'spider thread'. I then wrap the hackle down the post and tie it off with the spider thread and whip finish.

I picked this up from watching a 'klinkhammer' video

Regards

VB

Well, everyone's positive feedback has really boosted my confidence! I'll give the superglue method a try and see how it turns out. J-kno, you apy for shipping and they're yours! hahaha