Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
jfinn

Leader for Pike

I'm looking to start trying to fish for northern pike this upcoming season and I'm wondering what kind of leader setup is needed? I typically fish for trout, panfish and bass. Do i need to use something other than mono? Are leaders commercially available or do i need to build my own?

Others will disagree but I you can get away with using 10-12lb mono for average size pike and pickerel. I have lost very few on 12lb and have brought in a number on 6lb test (lost a few also). You don't really need bite wire unless you targets are really big ones. You will have to check and/or change your leader and knots after a catch but regular (high quality) mono can work just fine.

With that said you could also just use the wire leaders from your local tackle shop or specialty fly fishing wire.

I always use wire trace, 100% guarantee the fish cant bite you off. 10inch is long enough for fly fishing and several knottable brands out now. I prefer single strand titanium as its kink resistant and you wont have wind knots. For the main leader from fly Line to wire I just use 20lb mono. 5 to 7 feet normally. Try and see if you can track down Rickards book on fly fishing for pike.

Yes there are alot available commercially, but they are not that hard to make. There are 2 types that we use, depending on the fishing conditions and the fish themselves. First one is 6-7 feet 20-30lb mono with a 10inch titanium tip. The titanium wire is great because it is kink proof, to an extent of course. Have had some great days out pike fishing with alot of fish, and some big ones, and at the end of the day the titanium wire was still straight and strong. The next leader that we use is with a 10inch 60lb fluorocarbon tip. We use this when the fish are leader shy, not biting because they see the leader. This method is not as bullet proof as wire but near close to it. Have had many 10-15lb fish with some 20lb fish, and have had no problems at all. A pike would have some real troubles biting through that 60lb fluorocarbon, even with there razer sharp teeth. However it may get some nicks in it after time and will need to be replaced. Although this is not often. Both leader set ups work great and have produced many pike.

I do have another question though that has to do with making leaders. What do you guys like to use for connecting your flys to leader? Do you tye on each new fly, if so what knots do you use for both wire and mono/fluro. Or do you use some kind of clip? I haven't yet come to a method that i like.

I will use a 5-7 mono leader with a 10-12" wire tippet and most of the time I use a barrel swivel from the mono to the wire to prevent line twist, and a clasp at the end of the wire so I don't have to continually cut and retie the wire.

I will use a 5-7 mono leader with a 10-12" wire tippet and most of the time I use a barrel swivel from the mono to the wire to prevent line twist, and a clasp at the end of the wire so I don't have to continually cut and retie the wire.

What pound test mono?

What kind of fly line WF? Sinking? Both?

Depends on what the fishing conditions are. I have a reel with floating line, intermediate line, and a fast full sink line. They all have there usefulness's. It will depend what depth your fishing and what kind of flies your using that will determine what line you want to use. I would say that an intermediate would be the best line to get if you only want one. Can do a bit of everything with it.

You definetly neer a bite proof leader. Pike aren't leader shy in general. A bite proof leader will save you flies and more importantly save fish who might bite off mono. Even small pike can easily engulf large flies and expose the leader to their teeth. I personally feel these fish deserve our respect and that we take the measures necessary so they aren't dying for nothing. I used 20lbs single strand titanium wire. It ties well and didn' kink at all. Protect the resource, use a bite proof leader, and have a ton of fun!

just my 0.02$

Simon

Like Fish For Life I have three spools for my reel with Floating, Intermediate and a fast sink tip. Mostly I use the fast sink tip, it works well with the conditions I'm fishing, mid-July where the pike are hanging in 10 to 15 feet around the deep edges of beaver lodges. The flies I use are 3 to 6 inches in length, all white, yellow/white, red/white, chartreuse/white

I used 20lbs single strand titanium wire. It ties well and didn' kink at all.

Simon

What knots do you use for your wire. I haven't found any i like.

What pound test mono?

I have a spool withwf floating line and then another with an wf intermediate sinking line. I am more of a sight fisherman when it comes to esox fishing and don't typically fiosh deeper than 10-12'. For the mono it varies depending on the fly size that I am throwing and usually is between the 12-30# range to turn over the fly. I am looking into a furled leader made from 6-10# mono and then use a wire tippet with a snap for the fly to try and get a better turnover on the flies and be able to have a smaller diameter leader but with a heavier butt section

I used 20lbs single strand titanium wire. It ties well and didn' kink at all.

Simon

What knots do you use for your wire. I haven't found any i like.
an albright with 10 turns for mono to wire and a clinch with 5 turns for wire to fly, per manufacturer recomendations.