Fly Tying
Mallard

Hello From NW Michigan

Hi everyone,

My name is Bill, and I usualy go by Mallard on several various forums. I enjoy about everything outdoors, but would consider myself a duck hunter above all else. My interests include, in no particular order, stream fishing, great lakes fishing, upland bird hunting, turkey hunting, bow hunting and trapping. I also enjoy morel hunting. Trapping is the newest endevor as I have only been doing that for 6 years. I took it up as a means to manage a local population of predators that had limited the local waterfowl brood success to about nill, but now enjoy the persuit on a much broader level.

23 years ago I was 13 years old and very much interested in fly fishing, and was lucky enough to have been given a chance, through Boy Scouts, to go over to a fellows house with several other kids and learn about fly tying. This was a 2 part deal, and when it was over I was once again blessed with an invite to continue going over to this mans house and learn more and more about tying. We continued meeting for 2 days a week (400 yrd bike ride away), for the better part of 2 1/2 years. I truely enjoyed those days, but as is the case with many 16 year olds, my interest soon became narrowly focused on the finer things in life...namely girls. Many years have passed, and I no longer even know if my teacher is still alive, and if so where he ended up moving to as he's nowhere local now. His name Is Jack Gilbert. A great man indeed.

Anyway......I've dug up my vise, some old materials, and I'm ready to jump back in head first. Glad to find the site, as I'm certainly a bit rusty and outdated at this point`

Hello Mallard!

I'm from S.E. MI Mt. Clemens area. I probably go camping in your back yard! Welcome to the forum! You will find help on just about anything you want!

BFR

Hi Mallard, I'm from north central MI, and I got rid of all my traps this past year and now I'm a flytying addict, glad to have another Michigander on here headbang.gif

A hardy welcome from central Michigan

Glad to see you’re getting back into Fly fishing and tying. thumbsup.gif

OSD.