Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
kjwhit

Peak Vise Tying Light

I am a Peak fan-boy, but that thing is expensive for what it is. I use this from IKEA: light. I am going to take two of these and make a mount for them that attaches to my vise: Bright idea

I am interested in the Peak tying light too--J Kno I am a fellow Peak fan. :) I have a couple of different Ott-Lights and they are great on my bench at home, but I really like the idea of a light that would clamp right onto my vise stem for tying meetings or on-stream tying. I do think Peak is gouging pretty bad on the price, though. If anyone knows of a similar product for a more reasonable price, I'd be interested to hear about it.

I am interested in the Peak tying light too--J Kno I am a fellow Peak fan. smile.png I have a couple of different Ott-Lights and they are great on my bench at home, but I really like the idea of a light that would clamp right onto my vise stem for tying meetings or on-stream tying. I do think Peak is gouging pretty bad on the price, though. If anyone knows of a similar product for a more reasonable price, I'd be interested to hear about it.

Bryon,

The IKEA lamps would only need the clamp to vise and a simple plug. Plenty of directed light in a small package. I'll see if I can fab something up, if I can find some aluminum.

I went a slightly different route. I bought an LED barbecue light from Amazon for $35.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001EXRG4K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It has a bigger head and more bulbs. I had another, earlier generation light before that had a shade over the lamp, and confined the light to a small diameter. I was constantly redirecting the light to illuminate different areas, and it was somewhat of a pain. I like this much better.

There is another version of this lamp that is about $25 and has fewer bulbs.

The clamp opens to about 3 1/2", and the flex is about 16" to 18" long. If anyone is interested, I will take a pic of it on my table tonight.

Kirk

... but I really like the idea of a light that would clamp right onto my vise stem for tying meetings or on-stream tying...

Darn Bryon, now I have this picture in my head of you standing in the middle of a stream, leaning on your wading staff, water rushing past your boots, straps over your shoulders holding a small table with your vise, while you pick bugs off the water, drop them on your mini bench, and try to tie a match the hatch fly right on site. LOL

... but I really like the idea of a light that would clamp right onto my vise stem for tying meetings or on-stream tying...

Darn Bryon, now I have this picture in my head of you standing in the middle of a stream, leaning on your wading staff, water rushing past your boots, straps over your shoulders holding a small table with your vise, while you pick bugs off the water, drop them on your mini bench, and try to tie a match the hatch fly right on site. LOL

Yep, just like that is how I do it. :) Guess I should have said streamside instead of on-stream...

I've never actually tied flies "on-site" to match a hatch, but you never know, it could happen. :) It's actually fly tying club meetings where I would get the most use out of the Peak light or one like it.

Two possibilities: one is clip-on book lights... don't know where you'd clip it, but anyway the other is a cap with lights in the brim. I've seen them somewhere, assume they're for reading.

If you don't like that you could use a miner's/spelunker's carbide helmet lamp. :-)

Two possibilities: one is clip-on book lights... don't know where you'd clip it, but anyway the other is a cap with lights in the brim. I've seen them somewhere, assume they're for reading.

If you don't like that you could use a miner's/spelunker's carbide helmet lamp. :-)

The cap I have with LEDs in the bill came from Walmart, in the sporting goods section with the hunting stuff. I use it when fishing after dark.