Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
jalansalon

Beginner fly tying

Welcome to the site. There is a forum dedicated to beginners, a few down from this one. But you'll get answers here, too.

The head could be smoothed out a bit. The wire wraps could be more even.

But ... if you're planning to fish it, I do believe it'll get plenty of hits.

Welcome to the group. I suggest since you're new that you look through all the various forum topics, and read the instructions for using each of the ones you think you might be visiting. Otherwise you might post something in a place where you won't get any replies. Actually several forums are appropriate for posting pix of your ties, including this one, and the Beginners forum, the Coldwater and Warmwater forums, the Steelhead/Salmon forum, the Saltwater forum, and the Realistic forum, but if you'll browse through them, you'll see that each has a slightly different emphasis, and some of them are generally only used by people who share that particular interest.

Also browse through some of the older threads, and you'll learn a heap of good information.

Thanks you guys for the feedback I will work on what you said about the wraps and smoothing the head out! Here is another one if you could let me know what you think? This one I think I crowded the eye too much but I am a beginner so I guess it takes practice!

post-54955-0-48674900-1422330667_thumb.jpg

This is my personal best fly I have tied let me know what you guys think!

Use touching wraps of the copper wire on the first fly and get rid of the feather and you will have a brassie.

Thanks you guys for the feedback I will work on what you said about the wraps and smoothing the head out! Here is another one if you could let me know what you think? This one I think I crowded the eye too much but I am a beginner so I guess it takes practice!

Second fly - Is it an Elk Hair cCaddis?

The body is a bit too short. Start it back where the hook just starts to bend, about opposite of the hook barb. The hair should nor be cut off at the back, and should not be cut uneven. Buy and use a hair stacker so the tapered ends of the hair are lined up. Measure the hair length against the hook and tie the hair in at the butt end. Leave a flared head at the eye to represent the head of the insect.

elk-hair-caddis-step-6.jpg

Elk%20Hair%20Caddis%20013.jpg

peacock-elk-hair-caddis-01.png

Yea, I was kinda experimenting thanks for the info i have a hair stacker i just didn't use it for some reason lol

As a beginner, I can not stress enough how important it is to follow a fly recipe. Two reasons...1 You will build a fly already 'proven' and 2 You will learn fundamental tying techniques (which will serve you well later) about how to apply the materials to the hook.

If you do not have or can not afford fly tying books, your local Public Library no doubt will have a cadre of books you can borrow for up to two weeks at a time for free!

When I began, I devoured every fly tying book I could find looking at recipes and pictures and trying them out on my bench. Later as your skills and experience develop (two years and beyond) you will have earned the right (in your own mind, not that there's some judging body) to fully design your own flies.

In short...Stick with the Basics.

-SearchingSolitude

Alright thanks man I will take your advice and check out the library in town I didn't even think about that!

You Tube is a great source as well. I have spent hours upon hours watching fly tying videos. My wife asked how can you watch that boring crap but to me it is very interesting!

Ok so I'm really new here. Not even an hour officially. So hello, I'm Tyler from North Texas. I finally caught my first trout after three years of trying (a couple days each year). Needless to say I've really been wanting to get into this sport. I got a tying kit and finished my first fly ever, an olive/black wooly bugger so any feedback on it would be amazing.

post-55498-0-86112000-1425937198_thumb.jpeg

To Both new Gentlemen: Jalansalon and Itsfarmingtime: Welcome to the best place to get help and learn from other fly tying/ fly fishing enthusiasts! I'm fairly new here myself, and love this place! You can learn a lot from the members. next time, go to"Beginners Corner" thats where you will glean all the information, and commentary you will need.

As for the flys: in general, they will catch fish no doubt. just try to remember what was spoken to me at one time: Less is more and work neatly. use as little material as possible (when possible) and try to keep everything as clean looking as possible.

welcome again.

Portlyjoe