Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
HookON

Bug Bond Mains Professional UV Light

I bought the regular Bug Bond Light to test it and unless they use a different UV emitter in the actual flashlight, it is pretty weak compared to other lights. Putting the batteries in a foot switch does not make the light have more power. The original light uses ONE AA battery which is 1.5 volts. Other high power UV flashlight emitters are >6 volt capacity.

Email them and see if they changed out the emitter in the flashlight.

bug_bond_professional_uv_light_lg.jpg

Go with this instead.

$_57.JPG

At 48 Watts and 365nm, they suggest you wear sunglasses,
long sleeved shirt , rubber gloves and a lead skirt( :) ) but it won't leave that
nasty film and you can do a dozen flies at a time, HA!HA!HA!

Kimo

Putting the batteries in a foot switch does not make the light have more power.

It says it's mains powered, no batteries. Coming from the UK it's likely 240V.

Putting the batteries in a foot switch does not make the light have more power.

It says it's mains powered, no batteries. Coming from the UK it's likely 240V.

If you read the specifics:

• The Professional UV Light Mains Conversion, consisting of the footswitch, power supply and torch adapter, allowing you to adapt your existing Bug Bond Professional UV Light to the new system.
  • The Mains Professional UV Light which includes the full conversion kit plus the Bug Bond Professional UV Light. This is the full, conventional Professional UV light and features the traditional switch and battery port, so you can still take your UV Light with you in your portable tying kit.

It sounds as if the conversion is an AC to DC transformer that saves batteries and does nothing to the UV led bulb. I think it is an expensive way to save the cost of an AA battery. But I could be wrong so email them.

My 2 ¢ worth (?), without actually seeing the gizmo:

" Mains" AC voltage, stepped down to some low-level AC via transformer, rectified to some filtred regulated DC voltage, then outputted to the footswitch (we don't want AC mains voltage present at the footswitch, no way). A simple on/off switch within the footpedal turns the UV diode on or off.

Silver's spot on here, there would be no 'increased' power per se, albeit the fact that the voltage across the diode(s) would remain constant over time, as opposed to a slowly decreasing battery voltage.

Of course if the light itself is the same, I wouldn't expect more light output. Silver's post implied that there were batteries in the switch. I was just pointing out that it's a plug in device and you may or may not be able to plug it into a North American household outlet.

Hi Jay,

My assumption that there were batteries in the foot switch originates from the lack of an electrical plug in the advertisement below, and the fact that "mains" does not have the connotation of an AC electrical outlet in the USA.

http://www.fishingmegastore.com/bug-bond-mains-professional-uv-light~18838.html

img_1521.jpg

In the USA we say VISE for a fly tying vise, but in Great Britain you say VICE, which has an entirely different connotation in the USA. We are two countries joined by an uncommon language.....

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/vice

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/british/vice

This may be of some help regarding it's use in the USA, and all her vices vises.

(not to leave out Canada, oops)

http://outsmartingfish.com/2014/06/bug-bond-pro-pedal/

"Note: For tyers in the U.S., a voltage adapter needs to be purchased

in order for the pedal to work. The adapter can be found at most

electronics stores, and is around 10-15 USD."

http://thefeatherbender.com/2013/06/26/pedal-power-for-bug-bond/

Scroll down through the link & you'll see a photo of the power supply.

I'd bet the little silver plug coming off the power supply cord

goes into a jack right on the footswitch itself.

If you're handy and don't mind possibly letting all the smoke out,

building a rig on you own isn't impossible. Main thing would be

determining the necessary forward voltage required across the

diode(s).

I wonder if the UV box in my wife's lab would work. Not sure what the wavelength is, normally it is used for visualizing DNA bands in an gel.

Steve

They use UV cured nail polish in some beauty shops. You can get a powerful UV light from beauty supply shops, or Amazon. I still use my $10.00 battery light, but I have a UV light in my power tooth brush stand that I think I will try out.

Go with this instead.$_57.JPG

long sleeved shirt , rubber gloves and a lead skirt( :) ) but it won't leave that

Kimo

Nice info on photography, thanks but where did you get all the nice accessories?

Go with this instead.

long sleeved shirt , rubber gloves and a lead skirt( smile.png ) but it won't leave that

Kimo

Nice info on photography, thanks but where did you get all the nice accessories?

Ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141504617776?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I am always keeping a look out for re-purposing tools from other hobbies and disciplines like everyone else.

Mostly from jewelry, luthieri, beading, leather working, etc.

Kimo