Fly Tying
Crackaig

February Flies from the Vice

Normally I would never show a fly that's going to be part of a swap prior to entering it.

But this fly simply makes me feel proud.

I'm in the process of studying old techniques for making wets, dries, nymphs and spiders, some with and some without a vise.

For the dries, with extended bodies, I've long experimented with the method described by F. M. Halford in "Floating Flies" (http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=nyp.33433066634068;view=1up;seq=9 go to page 65 forward and also see all the beautiful coloured plates) and now I think I've nailed it - now it just a matter of getting experience...

The book is from 1886, and hence is one of the classics. Most of the techniques from then has been substituted by more simple and easy to tie methods.

Today I do extended bodies using silicone and dubbing to form a floating soft body.

This fly is made with:

Extende part:
Core: Folded boar bristle

Tail: Grey mallad flank

Body: Swiss straw with horse hair on the out side

Hooked part:

Wing: Ginger hen feathers

Hackle: Light Blue dun

Thread for all of the fly, well waxed yellow silk.

Hope you like it.

post-13174-0-73423400-1422880491_thumb.jpg

Fatty Matt,

I was not serious with that price, I no longer sell flies anyway. I have been weighting them with 4 or 5 layers of .020 wire under the front 2/3 of the hook shank. I use pliers to adjust the lead so it is centered under the shank.

FattyMatt, tell me about the crab. Is it supposed to have a rubber leg on one side and feathers on the other? Is this something to do with how the crabs are shaped?

Utyer, I am going to be working on something like you've got there. Our ponds should start cranking up the next warm spell and this year I'm going to give 'em hell.

ICEDAPPLECADDIS_zps8aeb7fe3.jpg

ICED APPLE CADDIS PUPA – Strolis/Variant – TMC 2499SPBL #10 – #14…

TANXIRISCADDISGRP_zpse1d7d4d6.jpg

TAN TP CLACKA CADDIS #14 & #16…

PT/TB

Here are some size 14 Madison Mauler flymphs that I just tied this past weekend. A pattern Jim Slattery came up with when PMD's are out and about on some of the streams and rivers that he fishes by his lodge.

IMGP0290_zps9eaaca3f.jpg

Cheated and bought bodies

7012A487-88CC-4F48-9B05-8310AD812815_zps

Getting started....used Stippled Pops technique on the rubber legs tied on instead of needle thru body at least on da lil ones

06B2720D-C822-41B9-AC7C-5D1ABF9ADAF4_zps

Killer poppers. Even "cheating" on the bodies, it's a ton of work and it's one of the few tires that are almost guaranteed to fish when it gets warmer

FattyMatt, tell me about the crab. Is it supposed to have a rubber leg on one side and feathers on the other? Is this something to do with how the crabs are shaped?

Utyer, I am going to be working on something like you've got there. Our ponds should start cranking up the next warm spell and this year I'm going to give 'em hell.

Vic, the crab has 3 rubber legs on each side. Fiddlers have one very large claw and one tiny one. I don't include the tiny one because they usually tuck it in and show the large one when being attacked

Better angle perhaps

post-51578-0-86505100-1422917438_thumb.jpg

post-51578-0-17026300-1422917595_thumb.jpg

I tied 30 of these bead headed nymphs for a fish with my wife, niece and her boyfriend. I am only new to tying (<3 months) and can't tell you how hard it was to try tie them as uniformally as possible! We only lost 8!

BTW Critique very welcome as I have not posted any pics of my flies before. I think I definitely need to shorten the tails

regards

I tied 30 of these bead headed nymphs for a fish with my wife, niece and her boyfriend. I am only new to tying (

I love those! For only around 3 months into the obsession, the quality and uniformity of those is great! Congrats! How many fish did they take?