Fly Tying
Crackaig

February Flies from the Vice

Agreed. Those look good. Tail is a variable. To be precise, you might need to check the length ... but to catch fish, the longer tail motion might just be the trigger to a hit.

Very well done.

Thanks for the inflating my ego Fisherboy. Its amazing how many tips you get from this forum and from podcasts as well as you tube. I read, listened and watched plenty before I built up the courage to start tying.

The nymphs only caught one fish (my wife!) but conditions were not great for nymphing. Our usual tail water had a release from reservoir and was flowing at >6000 ML/Day. Access was difficult and we spent most of the day walking looking for backwaters. Due to the high level we tried some grubs tied by the local fly shop which got us another 2. Successful day under challenging conditions here in Victoria, Australia in the middle of summer!

Cheers

VB1971

Now that I have got the hang of this I have posed my first Goddard Caddis. Any advice on the amount of deer hair needed and shaping advice very welcome

Cheers

This was tied on #14 hook

Now that I have got the hang of this I have posed my first Goddard Caddis. Any advice on the amount of deer hair needed and shaping advice very welcome

Cheers

Cheers

That's usually considered a pretty dificult tie, at least for me it is haha, and you nailed it!

Cheers

This is far better than I could do on a #14 hook. I don't have the patience to work on a hook that small. But use a tiny bit more hair to get a nice packing tool like the fugly packer junir from Pat Cohen or a brassie and that will help to get the body tighter and have a longer float time. Trimming looks pretty good as well. Maybe take a little more off from the bottom of the fly towards the bend just to allow for a better hook set. But aweseome tie!

First time tying midges. Size 22s. I know, they both have a 'wild hair' but oh well, sue me! lol Not so difficult to tie but geezzz... taking the picture is a bit of a challenge with an autofocus automatic (Fugifilm XP70)! lol Thus apologies with the focus issues!

Tried to introduce the tip of the scissors to assist it but...

I'd like to resolve such focus issues but I don't think I'm quite ready to take the digital SLR plunge (almost but not quite).

BCT

You might be surprised at how well a cropped and zoomed photo will look. It's not always necessary to take close ups to post close ups. Take your shot from a little farther away, with perfect focus. Then crop and zoom it using a photo program.

The flies look pretty good ... and I think you're ready for those first small fly hatches of late winter/early spring.

The Easy Peasy Cased Caddispost-37956-0-65738100-1423097697_thumb.jpg

This fly has very few materials and is a cinch to tie

The trout seem to love it........Tied in sizes to suit your area

Typically for my area sizes 12 down to a size 20.