Fly Tying
Kirk Dietrich

Some hard bodies for 2015

Just hand paint your base of yellow or chart and use the Copic for the darker back. Now, I haven't tested the fade resistance of yellow and chart ink on foam, it may last longer.

you can buy the foam heads in white, yellow or chartreuse at BPS. Presumably that yellow will last.

Brighter colors, especially fluorescent colors are quick to fade. Inks are going to be quicker to fade than paint. Epoxy doesn't have any UV protection at all so it really doesn't help. An automotive clear will help because it has UV screeners in it.

Fly, true about the inks. However, in my experience with these inks, they are fading without exposure to neither natural or unnatural light; that is why I was wondering if it was the pearlescent undercoating. I'm not going to experiment with different combinations for light colors, I have light colored bugs I painted twenty years ago that still have their color; I'll just use the Copic inks for the dark colors and red, which seems to hold up good.

Kirk,

As always your poppers are a work of art! Store bought stuff can't hold a light to your stuff buddy!!!! Great work indeed...

Fly, true about the inks. However, in my experience with these inks, they are fading without exposure to neither natural or unnatural light; that is why I was wondering if it was the pearlescent undercoating. I'm not going to experiment with different combinations for light colors, I have light colored bugs I painted twenty years ago that still have their color; I'll just use the Copic inks for the dark colors and red, which seems to hold up good.

Light is the only thing that can cause it in paint. The pearl undercoating shouldn't have anything to do with it except that it might speed up the process due to the way it refracts light. I've been in the automotive coatings business for 25+ years. I understand it. No idea about the inks though, that's why I have stayed away from the Copic. It could even be the solvents in the epoxy that are destroying the pigments.

What pearl coating is it? Is that part of the Copic system?

Fly, true about the inks. However, in my experience with these inks, they are fading without exposure to neither natural or unnatural light ...

... I'll just use the Copic inks for the dark colors and red, which seems to hold up good.

Well, there you have it. Quit painting with pastels and you won't have weak, fading colors !!!

Haha Mikechell...

Flysmallie, I use a base coat of Gesso and then an acrylic pearlescent. Could be the epoxy. I'm cool with hair and air brushing acrylics. Thanks for the input.

Airbrush looks great for scale affect. Do you use netting from fabric store.....my attempts at chrome w/scales didn't work with silver spray paint....

Den, I use ISOPON Aluminum Mesh for fish scales. Got it on Ebay out of the U.K. A lot of guys do use the fabric store netting though. Check out some of the lure making guys airbrush work, there are some amazing artists out there.

Kirk