Fly Tying
Rocco

Leaders for two weight system

I am just launching into the 2 wt game and need some pointers on balanced leaders for such small diameter lines. My big jump into the void is a 10'-er from Steve that i will use on Bluegill and Crappie this spring and maybe on some trout in more open spots in moving waters and on lakes.

Rocco

There was a discussion a while back, about line weights and proper usages.

The information that stuck with me the most was:

Line weight is measured over a certain distance from the rod tip (generally, 30 feet). A rod is labeled to use line at that measured distance.

If you are expecting to make cast to 30 feet or more, use the line weight the rod calls for ... in your case, 2 weight.

If you are expecting to make shorter cast than that, go one line size up to compensate.

i like most have gone to a 'level leader'. i would start with 4-6# section of mono between 7-9'. tie a piece of tippet to the end of this and see how the line and fly turn over.

you might also want to look into using a furled leader. super limp, no memory, and roll at the end of a cast like a dream

Check out this leader formula chart on hipwader.com

http://hipwader.com/2003/10/leader-formula-chart/

It doesn't have a formula specific for 2 weight but I'm sure that the smaller size 7.5' leaders (5-6x) for the 3-5 weights will work just fine. If I were going to use this formula to make a 9' for a 2 or 3 weight I wouldn't use the 9' formula that is listed I would just tack on a 18" section of .17" to the butt end of the 7.5' formula.

I make some leaders using these formulas and they seem to cast quite well.

Bream and crappie aren't leader shy. A straight 6' of 4# or 6# mono would probably work. Myself, I'd be inclined to use 3' of 0x followed by 3' of 2x, and then a foot or two of 4x as tippet. That's a bit longer than necessary, but gives you more flexibility. 4x is plenty strong for bream and crappie, and maybe a small bass.

When you switch to trout, get a 7'6" 4x tapered leader. Trout are leader shy....

I fish a 5' mono furled leader and mostly use a 2 to 3' tippet of 6# on my 2wt. No memory issues with the leader and it will last you a couple of years unless you fish daily. Of course you will need to change tippets when it gets too short from changing flies or breakage. A straight 6' leader will work too as mentioned above. I use to fish a level leader but I have found the furled leader to be easier to deal with in the long run. I just carry extra 6 and 4# line with me to change out the tippet. I use a loop to loop connection and I just do a simple double surgeons loop in the tippet to attach to the leader. Simple and fast. Seldom have to change out the tippet more than once in an afternoon of fishing. Try it, you'll like it.

I fish a 5' mono furled leader and mostly use a 2 to 3' tippet of 6# on my 2wt. No memory issues with the leader and it will last you a couple of years unless you fish daily. Of course you will need to change tippets when it gets too short from changing flies or breakage. A straight 6' leader will work too as mentioned above. I use to fish a level leader but I have found the furled leader to be easier to deal with in the long run. I just carry extra 6 and 4# line with me to change out the tippet. I use a loop to loop connection and I just do a simple double surgeons loop in the tippet to attach to the leader. Simple and fast. Seldom have to change out the tippet more than once in an afternoon of fishing. Try it, you'll like it.

about your furled leader.....

what #test mono are you using.

what style of furling (made on a jig; or the twist and double back style)

I tried to send you the site that I got my original board design and technique but it seems to have been removed.......I made a board with pegs for two legs with metal hooks on each end. Each legs is twisted in opposite directions and then twisted together to for the leader. Then the top needs to have a loop made by pulling itself thru with a small hook affair that I bought at Jo-Anns. I just use the bottom loop as it is formed when the two legs are twisted together. I use 4# test mono. If memory each leg starts with 3 loops at the butt and then goes to 2 loops and finally 1 loop for the tippet end of the leader. I go to a 6# mono for my 7wt lines. I use 8# mono for my 9wt usually but I believe the 6# is probably heavy enough for both the 7wt and 9wt.

I actually bought a furled leader from a gal that fishes carp and is quite successful at it . It appears to be made from maybe 2# test mono but with possibly a few extra loops. I have yet to have the chance to use the carp leader that I bought. I have been looking for some 2# bulk line to try. It takes about 35 t0 50 yards to make one of these leaders with this method as I recall. I haven't made any recently. These things last for quite a while if you keep them out of UV light

i used 6# to make a leader this way. it wasn't that bad, but stiffer than i like. i wonder how the triple back with lighter mono would work.

i have one thread leader that i've babied. now that is a nice leader to cast. i had better make a jig before i break it,lol.

I feel that I need to add that the technique that I outlined will produce leader that is 6 step leader and the breaks between each step is really seamless when the leader is properly done. ....The leader after sitting on a reel for months will come off slightly curled but with just a slight stretch motion by hand and the leader shows no memory. It will lay out a fly nice and straight if you want it to. These things are great for warm water. No opinion for cold water fishing. I did make one using thread and I did not care for the way it cast. It was too limp for me.