Fly Tying
Striperknight

Material Question

I saw a pattern in a magazine that listed UV Chewee Skin as a material. I don't have access to UV Chewee skin but have lot of Bodi-stretch material in my supplies. Can anyone tell me the difference between the two?

From experience, don't mess around with the Chewee skin. It's a horribly inconsistent product and will most often just disintegrate over time as the material breaks down. I've tied probably 200 or so flies with it over time and like 80% of them have just come apart. I've had some success when I thoroughly coat it with a UV resin or something, but in general, untreated Chewee skin is just too difficult to work with. If you go to the manufacturer, they'll tell you you're tying it in wrong (upside down) or stretching it or something that makes no sense.

So yeah, go with a scud back, body stretch or latex or something along those lines.

From experience, don't mess around with the Chewee skin. It's a horribly inconsistent product and will most often just disintegrate over time as the material breaks down. I've tied probably 200 or so flies with it over time and like 80% of them have just come apart. I've had some success when I thoroughly coat it with a UV resin or something, but in general, untreated Chewee skin is just too difficult to work with. If you go to the manufacturer, they'll tell you you're tying it in wrong (upside down) or stretching it or something that makes no sense.

So yeah, go with a scud back, body stretch or latex or something along those lines.

ignore what i said :P

My experience somewhat mirrors Curtis'. When I first started playing around with it I wanted to wrap it like you can with Scud Back and other similar synthetics. Looked good when I first tied the flies but I quickly noticed that it would start to come apart in a short period of time. I tried ribbing with different stuff but it didn't really help much. What I found that worked pretty well was to cover the fly with the Loon soft head cement.

Steve

Thanks Curtis. I was just about to order some as I recently saw a few patterns using it that I liked. You just saved me 10 to 15 bucks.