Fly Tying
BCFlyFishers

smallest hooks

The OLD Mustad 32 hooks were smaller than the once currently available. If your really looking for small see if you can find some of those.

The TMC 518 #32 is the smallest I tie on (and know about that you can get now), it's the one in the middle here:

2014.07.30.midge_32-1024x682.jpg

You also have the Varivas 2300 (that I think is too fragile, don't like to tie on it at all) and the Gamakatsu that is quite nice in these small sizes

2013.04.dryfly.me_.midge_down_wing_packa

To compare these small ones:

2013.04.dryfly.me_.midge_down_wing_toget

But, as utyer said: the OLD mustad 32 are even smaller, and I would love to get my hands on some of those!

This isn't a great photo but the only one I have. Its a woven nymph on one of those infamous Mustad hooks.

Tiny3.jpg

(The read thread is attached in case the hook pings from the vice. You will not be able to find it otherwise.)

The Mustad will fit length ways within the gap of any of the 32 on the market today.

Cheers,

C.

From the scale as it can be judged in the photos that size 40 doesn't look significantly smaller than the old Mustad 32s. There is no standard for hook sizing. For example I have a long shank hook from TMC in size 26 that has the same gape as one of their size 32s. In other words non standard sizing within a range.

From a practical fishing point of view the best thing to do is to tie short on a larger hook. The smallest I tie often are on Hyabusa all Purpose Light hooks in size 24. They are not much bigger in gap than the TMC 32s, but the shank is longer. Tying short on these gives you a practical fishing fly as small as you can use.

This will give you an idea of the size compared with Eide's 32.

post-43582-0-98673500-1423905222_thumb.jpg

Sometimes we just get overly impressed with the number attached by the manufacturer, which, in reality, means very little.

Cheers,

C.

I used to have a small number of the old Mustad 32's.....They were gold color and as I remember the wire was square and not round. I bought them just to have and show folks. Never tied a fly on them. I don't trout fish but I do wish I still had them. They just came up missing I guess.

I used to have a small number of the old Mustad 32's.....They were gold color and as I remember the wire was square and not round. I bought them just to have and show folks. Never tied a fly on them. I don't trout fish but I do wish I still had them. They just came up missing I guess.

At that size ... they probably just evaporated.

The smallest I have tied on is a mosquito pattern I tie on a size 22 Mustad 94840. I caught a small bass on it and then had the devil's own time trying to get the hook out. It was buried up to the shank in his tongue. Tore the wings off of the fly getting it out. I didn't bother trying to tie another one on. Just too tiny to really mess with.

Kirk

The TMC 518 #32 is the smallest I tie on (and know about that you can get now), it's the one in the middle here:

2014.07.30.midge_32-1024x682.jpg

You also have the Varivas 2300 (that I think is too fragile, don't like to tie on it at all) and the Gamakatsu that is quite nice in these small sizes

2013.04.dryfly.me_.midge_down_wing_packa

2013.04.dryfly.me_.midge_down_wing_toget

But, as utyer said: the OLD mustad 32 are even smaller, and I would love to get my hands on some of those!

I have tied on the 518 hooks for years, and the new Gamakatsu hook is one of the most impressive hooks I have ever seen. It holds fish really well, and its eye is much larger than other hooks allowing the use of larger tippet. Rarely do I use tippet smaller than 6X on any of my midges.

I have tied on the 518 hooks for years, and the new Gamakatsu hook is one of the most impressive hooks I have ever seen. It holds fish really well, and its eye is much larger than other hooks allowing the use of larger tippet. Rarely do I use tippet smaller than 6X on any of my midges.

Agree: the 518 #32 needs a 7x tippet while the gamakatsu is much more forgiving when it comes to tippet size. I also like the slightly larger gap, making it easier to hook the fish

I've seen those jumbo matches in the BBQ & grill area in the shops! Just kidding! Smallest hooks i own are TMC 101 #20, tied 3 split feather wing mayflies the other week, crouded the eye on 1 of them! Was my first time tying that small, hooks were in my box for 2 years!

Skip%20Schorb_zpseqqwiajr.jpg

Skip Schorb, the man on the left, ties 32s just to show people he can. He is also a mechanical genius who lives in Arkansas, along with Tony Spezio. Both are legends up there. The image is one I took about 3 years ago in Mountain Home at either the Federation Conclave or Sowbug Round-Up.

I tied Mustad 32 is hard to see, for me at least. Skip ties a lot of them with at least a spot of red so people can see them.

A friend and I are headed to Mountain Home in about 3 weeks for the Sowbug, the largest tying event.

Here are images I took between tying at the Conclave in 2011 I believe: http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=171275

The site I posted this is Texas kayak Fisherman, a large fresh- and saltwater site many of us us for discussions and for planning kayak trips on Texas rivers, the Brazos, Colorado, Devil's River, and the Gulf of Mexico.

Ray