Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Shwimp

Chem Prof,

Neat fly. Looks to be a fairly quick tie...just the kind I like.

Nice website too. Has some good info. I'm interested in your fly casting club... according to mapquest lake charles is only about 2 hrs from Houston.

What time is are your meetings? Any additional info on your club? I'm new to the salt and can take all the help I can get. Thanks ahead.

Tony

Our meetings are the third Tuesday of every month. Next one is Feb 15th. Tying starts at 6 pm, the formal meeting (if you can call it that) starts at 7 pm. both are held in the auditorium of Gayle Hall on the McNeese campus, or one of the class rooms in the same buliding. You should be aware there is a quite active fly club in Houston, and their website is http://www.texasflyfishers.org/Main.htm

Our group is quite small, we have only about 40 members and attendance is typically ten or less. you should also be aware there are several conclaves coming up in the next couple of months. There is one in Lafayette on Feb 19 (Acadiana Fly Rodders) at Grace Presbyterian Church Hall, 415 Roselawn Blvd., Lafayette, LA. This event will feature Terry and Roxanne wilson (panfish). On March 12, there is a conclave of the Redstick Fly Fishers in Baton Rouge at the Waddill Wildlife Center (4142 N. Flannery Rd., Baton Rouge, LA 70814-8007). I'm tying at that one, and one of our club members , Ron Begnaud is speaking along with Pete Cooper (author of Fly Fishing the Lousiana Coast) and Nick Curcione. The tradition in Louisiana, is that the conclaves are free and make their monies via auctions, and other money making projects held at the conclave. Our conclave will probably be sometime this fall.

The fly here, the Shwimp, is a simple tie, and was developed by one of our club members, Danny Williams (who is also our treasurer).

Mark Delaney