Fly Tying
Harold Ray

Feather Emporium; Honest?? Anybody Using Them?

dave

one minor complaint

when someone orders multiple hackles that are very close in color to each other and placed in the same zip lock (i have no problems with multiple skins in the same bag) please attach a small piece of paper to the skin to identify the color of each skin, stapled would be fine.

other than that, thanks for the excellent customer service i have received.

norm frechette

After reading through this thread it makes me think of two things.

1. Cheaper prices typically mean you sacrifice something in return for lower price. It seems that customer service and tracking of shipping is the ones you lose here.
  2. I've always been told never buy naturals sight unseen due the variations from animal to animal. This may mean you pay a little more but most shops that carry the better products are local business and the extra cost is worth keeping them in business.

Yes you are wrong. If you think that Whiting is selling their seconds or junk to me so that I can sell it on the internet for "premium" prices - for all the world to see, you couldn't be more wrong. Why would Whiting let me do this?

As for "it's not that hard to put an expensive cape in the correct bag", that is not what you bought. I clearly offer both packaged and unpackaged Whiting products on the same page.

The unfortunate part is that you still feel that you've been cheated. What makes you think that the cree cape is junk? You say "Buyer beware", be aware of what? I guess I can better highlight the description that it is not in Whiting packaging. But what about the quality?

Again, if you are not happy with the quality of the cape or the bag or whatever, send it back. If you want a cree in the Whiting bag, I'll send you one. But to go on here and just complain doesn't solve any problem.

Dave, instead of listening to your customers, you seem to be telling us we are all wrong. If someone tries to sell me a Rolex or a pair of Oakley Sunglasses in a plain plastic bag, I would suspect they are not Kosher. You say that Whiting "once" sent you a cape that was not bagged, was that mine? Buyer Beware, means taking a risk on purchasing from a particular supplier.

Just so you know Im a pro guide who has 25 years experience and more than 50 years of fly fishing experience. Every time I have seen unpaged items then they are nearly always seconds or substandard and the manufacturer does not want to put their name on it. In the case of my Cree Cape I DID write to Whiting and did NOT receive a reply.

I did not return the Cape to you since it was hard enough to get any Cree cape and I accepted I just paid a high price for a not so great cape.

If you want to put it right, how about sending me a new cape, in Whiting packaging and then Ill return the one you sent me with a dozen feathers missing, you can take a dozen from the new cape.

I, over the years, have sold a number of my indicators and another product and I always included them in good packaging and a card with my name and other details on it. If I could do it on an item costing a few buck, you and Whiting can do it on an item costing $100.

My 2 cents is that ordering sight unseen from fly shops of packaged Whiting and Metz hackle is not a guarantee of satisfaction either. The skins are graded but they are grading a lot of skins per hour.

However, what a specific tier want and what is graded are two different things. As a tier, I take my time looking at the feathers I am buying. I am not grading toward a theoretical chart but for my needs.

Dave, instead of listening to your customers, you seem to be telling us we are all wrong. If someone tries to sell me a Rolex or a pair of Oakley Sunglasses in a plain plastic bag, I would suspect they are not Kosher. You say that Whiting "once" sent you a cape that was not bagged, was that mine? Buyer Beware, means taking a risk on purchasing from a particular supplier.

Just so you know Im a pro guide who has 25 years experience and more than 50 years of fly fishing experience. Every time I have seen unpaged items then they are nearly always seconds or substandard and the manufacturer does not want to put their name on it. In the case of my Cree Cape I DID write to Whiting and did NOT receive a reply.

I did not return the Cape to you since it was hard enough to get any Cree cape and I accepted I just paid a high price for a not so great cape.

If you want to put it right, how about sending me a new cape, in Whiting packaging and then Ill return the one you sent me with a dozen feathers missing, you can take a dozen from the new cape.

I, over the years, have sold a number of my indicators and another product and I always included them in good packaging and a card with my name and other details on it. If I could do it on an item costing a few buck, you and Whiting can do it on an item costing $100.

Cool story. Any pics of this "not so great" cape?

I understand your upset, but if you are going to slam someone else, there should be some degree of fact to support such an opinion.

It's not that I don't trust you, but this is the Internet. And I only believe 1/5 of what I read and half of what I see.

Cheers...

John F,

I looked into your order this morning. You ordered 3 Whiting hen capes. A silver badger, brown, and black at $25 each. The PayPal payment was for $75 and no shipping was charged.

Free shipping is for US orders, and as is clearly stated on my home page, there is a link for paying the shipping on international orders. I sent you two separate invoices for $9.55, one on Dec 23rd and the other March 3rd. Neither have been paid as of today.

You state that you are out $90. I can't find the other $15. Is this a payment you made for shipping or something else? If so, did you use a different PayPal email address?

Please let me know what happened here so that I can resolve this today.

I have never received a separate invoice for shipping. If I had I would have gladly paid it. I noticed on the original PayPal receipt there were no shipping charges and was expecting some kind of a notification about it. Funny how in the email I posted previously you were shipping "later today". The $90 bucks you can look at as my mistake, exchange on the dollar, etc brought up the $75 to a hair under $90 CND. This whole deal is not sitting well with me, could you please refund my money? Thanks.

My 2 cents is that ordering sight unseen from fly shops of packaged Whiting and Metz hackle is not a guarantee of satisfaction either. The skins are graded but they are grading a lot of skins per hour.

However, what a specific tier want and what is graded are two different things. As a tier, I take my time looking at the feathers I am buying. I am not grading toward a theoretical chart but for my needs.

I suspect many here don't have ready access to a well supplied fly shop; that is my situation, so I buy online from hopefully reputable suppliers. I have bought lots of "stuff" over the years for hunting, backpacking, kayaking, fishing, and flytying and have very seldom been hurt. I can count the problems in all of these years on one hand.

Having the Whiting label, if you like and want Whiting (it can be any brand) just adds a little more confidence and insurance to your purchase. Others may not agree or think that is important, but that is important to me.

Ray

I also wanted to post here that I have received an e-mail from PayPal stating that David from Feather Emporium has shipped my cape order today. I am anxious to get it:

It just shipped!

Transaction ID: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello Ray Emerson,

Your package from The Feather Emporium is on its way. You can track it online using this tracking number.

U.S. Postal Service: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Just a reminder:

It can take a few hours or even half a day for shippers to update tracking information.

If you ordered a bunch of stuff, some of it may arrive separately, so look for more than one package.

Seller

The Feather Emporium

[email protected]

Shipping address - confirmed

Harold Ray Emerson

4420 Village Oak Drive

Waco, TX

United States

Shipping details

Mailing date: Mar 31, 2015

Shipper: U.S. Postal Service

Tracking number: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Service type: First-Class Mail® Parcel (2-5 days)

Shipping Status: Shipped

Great; thanks, David. I appreciate your getting this done.

Ray

I suspect many here don't have ready access to a well supplied fly shop; that is my situation, so I buy online from hopefully reputable suppliers. I have bought lots of "stuff" over the years for hunting, backpacking, kayaking, fishing, and flytying and have very seldom been hurt. I can count the problems in all of these years on one hand.

Having the Whiting label, if you like and want Whiting (it can be any brand) just adds a little more confidence and insurance to your purchase. Others may not agree or think that is important, but that is important to me.

Ray

All Metz Capes are stamped on the rear of the cape.

I have not had major issues with capes from the primary suppliers, but the quality of saddles can very wildly! I now wait until I am in a shop to inspect the capes/saddles before purchase.

The blessing & curse of the internet...

Cool story. Any pics of this "not so great" cape?

I understand your upset, but if you are going to slam someone else, there should be some degree of fact to support such an opinion.

It's not that I don't trust you, but this is the Internet. And I only believe 1/5 of what I read and half of what I see.

Cheers...

Here are some pictures with a Metz #2

post-46416-0-62193700-1427836785_thumb.jpg

post-46416-0-03676300-1427836811_thumb.jpg

post-46416-0-20002100-1427836835_thumb.jpg

I'd tie that Metz cape to a brick and fire it through the store's front window.

What's the issue with the FE cape? Obviously I'm not seeing the same issue.