Fly Tying
Lotech Joe

Favorite Warm Water Fly

Due to my health I've had to change my favorite form of fly fishing from trout fishing rivers & streams to warmwater fishing in lakes and ponds. As a result I've had to change the flies that I routinely go to. What is your favorite warm water fly for crappies, bluegill and bass? here is my most successful fly to date. Simple and effective;

100_0160.jpg

My panfish attractor has been my most successful ...

but it's hard to beat the excitement of a hit on a top water popper.

Thank you,

It's a variant of a panfish Charlie. I called it my Attractor because it seems to get hits when nothing else does.

I have to agree with flytyer56. An olive or black and grizzly woolly bugger in assorted sizes would do the trick.

Quinn

I prefer top water myself. This one's become my favorite over the past year

post-309-0-87292800-1424908497_thumb.jpg

Subsurface

An Estaz bug. Tied on a straight eye hook 1xl. Marabou Tail, 4 wraps of lead wire in the middle of the shank, wrapped with Estaz which is trimmed. Trying to imitate a Mr. Twister Tail grub.

The Green Weenie. Simple chenille fly. A chenille loop for the tail, a wrapped chenille tail. You can tie it with or without a beadhead.

Size 10 bead head rabbit streamer. Various colors

post-15940-0-04934000-1424915476_thumb.jpg

Size 10 to 12 foam Gurgler variant. With practice, this one's a 2 minute tie. This one isn't mine. It's too fancy, lol.

post-15940-0-69680100-1424915605_thumb.jpg

Yellow is the color of choice. Other bright colors work, but not like yellow. Can't explain it, it just is.

Kirk

Topwater for bass and panfish would be a popper or this simple hopper.Brown and yellow work great also.

SimpleFoamHopper_zps8ef95f31.jpg

The panfish like this topwater Bee.Also tie in red and black color.

Bee_zpse41697a6.jpg

The bluegill love this little bug.Can be tied any color.Depends on the water clarity which color to use.

PanfishBug_zps6e490576.jpg

Heres one the crappie seem to like.Also tied in any color or multi colors.

1_zpsdhzxkqgi.jpg

Another one for the crappie and gills is this little deer hair and bead fly.

2_zpszs0eb4ed.jpg

Its hard to pick just one favorite.

Try this one:

http://warmwaterflytyer.com/patterns4.asp?page=6

The BHP generally does NOT have the red bucktail, just the peacock herl following the brown hackle. However, once the BHP become the Red Butt, it is probably the most effective fly I've ever used for panfish.

I remember one morning on Lake Buchanan (Granite Shoals, TX) that I caught a 10-inch 'gill on each of my first dozen casts before they got lockjaw and refused every pattern I threw at them.

The Red Butt (brown- or black-hackled peacock with the red bucktail) is my favorite fly for 'gills. I've also caught bass (a couple of 3-pounders), catfish (about a 16-incher), & a 4-inch shad on them.

I've had MANY frustrating experiences, however, with any floating fly with legs. The smaller 'gills like to come up and nibble on the legs, and, when I try to set the hook, it either pulls the leg out of the 'gill's mouth, or the leg separates from the body.

For surface fishing for 'gills, I like just about any trout fly - Adams, any terrestrial, cahills, Griffith's Gnat, any parachute pattern...

Sorry, Flytyer56, I just happened back across this. The rabbit is inserted in a split thread, but a dubbing loop would work just as well.

I like the split thread as it keeps the bulk down.

Kirk B.

I prefer top waters, so for bream a size-10-12 Chartreuse/Yellow poppers. If they aren't hitting top waters a grey or pearl Matuka style streamer same sizes.

Bass top water, deer hair slider frog in Chartreuse with White or Orange belly.....subsurface...my version of a Shineabou Shad weighted on a floating line or unweighted on a sink tip.

Yellow or white/grey/pearl....I'll catch any fish that swims on these things except maybe Carp