Fly Tying
hexfli

Warmwater Species

What warmwater fish is your favorite to cast flies too?  

931 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I like Peacock bass. They're like a Smallmouth with an attitude. I'm fortunate that I live in South Florida where they are readily available.

I'll have to be boring and vote for a Smallmouth as well. They'll readily eat flies and they fight like hell.

Those Peacocks sure are fun to catch, too! I've caught a few of them in S. Florida. Fight as hard as a smallmouth, and are 10x meaner.

Never caught a bluegill on a fly. I need to change that.

I'm also jonesing for May/June so I can go after some Wipers with the longrod! I've got a 200 grain Teeny and an 8wt that's just BEGGING to catch one of those things.

I originally voted for the smallmouth, but would now go with a bluegill.

Can you imagine trying to land a 20" bluegill? I think a lot of people wouldn't be able to.

Can you imagine trying to land a 20" bluegill? I think a lot of people wouldn't be able to.

If Bluegill got that big, I doubt there would BE any Bass anglers.

I don't think I'd set foot in water populated by 20" bluegill!

Bluegill are just plain nuts... practically sociopaths. I can't believe the size flies they'll hit.

Did someone say 20 pound Bluegill? That's the reputation these guys have been given by those who've fished for them. It's been said that they fight exactly the same way as 'gills do, and they're on my list of dream fish to catch!

The sunfish family in general are plain nuts. Here's a redear sunfish that hit a size 2 Tap's Bug (topwater deer hair bass bug):

IPB Image

Crazy fish. . . .

-- Mike

I cant remember what i voted for :dunno: but it was either blue gill or large mouth bass. I get more pleasure out of blue gill cause the fishing can be fast but when a bass hits the fight is on. :yahoo: