Fly Tying
hexfli

Warmwater Species

What warmwater fish is your favorite to cast flies too?  

931 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

QUOTE (skunked @ Feb 8 2005, 03:29 PM)
In my experience I've never seen a pike go airborn, seems like they always dive. Musky on the other hand will try some smallmouth like acrobbatics to get off your line

If you haven't had a pike jump yet, you need to hook a few more. Trust me, they jump like olympic athletes when the water temps are right.

No kidding dunno.gif I have caught a ton of pike all throughout the year and never had one jump. My rule of thumb with them is they ALWAYS dive. Usually I play them just the opposite of bass and get my rod tip as high as possible to get them up and away from any possible stuff to wrap up on on the bottom

Well no wonder they dive. If you're pulling straight up with your rod, they're gonna go opposite the direction of the pull. wink.gif

I tend to use side pressure. This keeps them up higher in the water column, and I can still steer them away from obstructions.

I'm not saying that they all jump. But about 1 in 3 does when I catch them in water temps between 50 and 60.

I picked largemouth bass just because they are so fun but so challenging to fish for.. Around here in North Carolina where Im at we have mostly Largemouth Bass or Bluegill as the primary fish species and when I go fishing Im usually beating the ponds for largemouth with rodnreel and sometimes fly rod or the same thing for bream except I tend to use the fly rod a lil more on bream than I do on bass because they seem more willing to take a fly than bass do I guess.. yall takemeasy and have a goodun.-tim

Seriously how many of you have been embarassed when you get a pike to shore or the boat after proclaiming the size of the fish...I know that it isn't just me...

yes i have done this before.. i was fishin with live bait once and had a big jack pike (pickeral) on and I swore he was 4' long before he got to the dock and broke my line..

Esox Lucius is my number one freshwater fish. Actually most of my fishing trips is with the Pike in mind. Nothing beats the sight when a 4-5 pounder suddenly swim sideways...with a little help from the jaws of the big one bugeyes.gif

Tight wires,

Jakob

I like smallie fishing as long as it is in a stream or small river (as I always prefer moving water). I fish for them with a 5 wt and seldom use patterns with a hook bigger than sz.6. For bream and rockies I'll use a 3 or 4 wt. Some of the biggest bass I've caught (3-4# range) were on sz. 10 buggers. I've yet to have the opportunity to fish for pike on the fly. I have an 8wt, and call me a wimp, but it feels like a club to me. It just seems way heavy since most of my fishing (for TROUT) is done on a 4 wt.

A.A.

Muskie without a doubt. There is nothing like having a big gator attempting to KILL your offering, almost wresting the rod out of your hand in the process. No blistering runs, but some will offer some great aerobatics, and they will all doggedly refuse to come in, headshaking and bull dogging the whole way.

headbang.gif SMALLMOUTH RULE!!! headbang.gif

At least for me... unless it's a big 1lb Bluegill... or maybe a good 'old red-eye, or ....

Heck, if it swims, I LOVE'M !!!!

That was a hard question to answer. dunno.gif

For me, it's what ever is on the end of my line.

I put Smallies because they are so readily available by my house, and I like the scrap they put on. However, if there is a carp swimming by I'll target that instead. Then there's Gar...Pike...Crappie....plate sized Blue Gills....

I have to stop....my palms are sweating. bugeyes.gif

Amazing. What is it about smallies and fly rods? That is my favorite too. I find smallies seem to go after flys more than spinning lures. Anyone else run across this? I have increased my smallies on a spinning rod by tying my own "lures" like cactus chenille worms and weighted streamers.

If you were to go to a site with mainly spinners the largemouth would have the lead.