Fly Tying
hexfli

Warmwater Species

What warmwater fish is your favorite to cast flies too?  

931 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I guess not many have caught these. If they did they would probably list them as their favorite. I have witnessed guys having their rods ripped out of their hands and into the water, never to be seen again. The take can be that violent. When you find them in concentration, they can be as obliging as bluegill, more powerful than a great many species, fight to the death...almost, and take flies as readily as a bluegill or trout. These three were my legal limit for the day, but I caught 24 others, of similar size, that same morning! These three are 12lb, 11lb, and 12lb. For phisical reference, the reel is a Tibor Riptide that is 4" wide.

post-23-1109029776.jpg

interesting, I would have guessed lmb, but my first choice is constitent with most folks, smallies.

If I have a choice of takin my jon boat on a local river or wading in a local river over hittin flatwater for lmb, I seem to always go for the moving water.

Largemouth will always be king for me,

but I haven't taken one on fly yet, so I

had to vote bluegill.

p.s. What's a smallmouth? laugh.gif

Since the only one of these that actually lives here in Sweden is pike I would be forced to say.... Pike! tongue.gif

Like this one!

post-23-1118504079.jpg

Here in central Alabama I can find and even catch Good Bluegill on fly (2,3, or 6wt.) or ultra-light (2lb. Stren). What Good Bluegill means is The two of us will catch from 30 - 35 or more and take 10 or 12 home each and those 10 will weigh around 8 or 9 pounds total. From the way they fight I have to say that if Bluegills got as big as Largemouth Bass, Bass would be net-legal. Vote: Bluegill - sunfish. Ralph

What not one for us saltwater types?? Here's a sample of species: Specks, Reds, Flounders, Drums, Bones. Snooks, Tarpons, Sharks, Mackerals, Tunas, Stripers and Oysters.

QUOTE (sparkleminnow @ Feb 21 2005, 06:49 PM)
I guess not many have caught these. ...SNIP... These three were my legal limit for the day, but I caught 24 others, of similar size, that same morning! These three are 12lb, 11lb, and 12lb. For phisical reference, the reel is a Tibor Riptide that is 4" wide.

Yes indeed, I love those Ohio River wipers. Here is a fine 6lb fish taken on my spinning rod. They are quite tough and lot's of fun on the long rod. It almost makes me pine for the chills of October!

user posted image

Joe C.

QUOTE (Flies & Photos @ Jun 21 2005, 10:54 PM)
What not one for us saltwater types?? Here's a sample of species: Specks, Reds, Flounders, Drums, Bones. Snooks, Tarpons, Sharks, Mackerals, Tunas, Stripers and Oysters.

You could always ask the same question in the saltwater section. dunno.gif

caught a smallie the other day on my new 3wt rod that had to be a solid 3 pounds if not over, the fight was increadible.

The week before I caught a lmb of about the same size and although a good fighter the smallie actually scared me a few times, thought my rod could be in trouble

man o man was that smallie a blast

wish I had my camera for the smallie

QUOTE (OLB @ Feb 8 2005, 03:30 PM)
In my experience I've never seen a pike go airborn, seems like they always dive.  Musky on the other hand will try some smallmouth like acrobbatics to get off your line

I have had them follow a fly up over my head.

I was wading and at the end of a retrieve when I picked the fly up off the water, a pike followed it off the water, seeing it speed up and thinking that the fly was going to get away.

I've had this happen several times.

No, I didn't catch the fish. yahoo.gif