Fly Tying
hexfli

Warmwater Species

What warmwater fish is your favorite to cast flies too?  

931 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I voted for largemouth since down here in S. Jersey that's what we fish for the most (I'm the only fly fisherman though). Second for me was bluegills. They are a blast on a lightweight.

I prize Crappie above the rest because they are such great table fare.Tie a size #10 cone head silver and grey wooly bugger and fish it with a sloww retrieve and you wil out catch the bait dunkers.

I chose panfish/bluegill. Definitely my favorite species to fish for in summer on small ponds. Give me a 3wt. and some topwater buts and I got crazy, not to mention the gills. This is a great poll. Thanks!

Pike are the greatest for me. For those of you that havn't fished for them yet, you are really missing out.

chinks,aka shellcrackers ,a hard fish to catch on a fly(except for the spawn),but they get big down here.

As much as I love largemouth and smallies, nothing beats a gill on a 3 weight destroying a nice foam topwater. And right now it is the perfect time for gills on top and I am having a blast bending my 3 weight in half.

Here in central Alabama I can find and even catch Good Bluegill on fly (2,3, or 6wt.) or ultra-light (2lb. Stren). What Good Bluegill means is The two of us will catch from 30 - 35 or more and take 10 or 12 home each and those 10 will weigh around 8 or 9 pounds total. From the way they fight I have to say that if Bluegills got as big as Largemouth Bass, Bass would be net-legal. Vote: Bluegill - sunfish. Ralph

[/quote

i agree ralph but i would add( redear ,shellcracker,chinks) what ever you want to call them,big chinks and gills in the timber:ie tupelo gum and cypress with buttonwood bushes thrown in,on five weight flyrods will test the best.

give me close quarter drill with big gills and chinks(11"&12") fish ,they will give you all you want.your right

if they weighed eight pounds average bass gear could not hold em.

Anything with big nasty bitin`teeth or poochie lips. And can some one send some Smallies and Muskies to Utah, only one resevoir I know of with Smallies, Flaming Gorge in Wyoming. We do have Tiger Muskies and they are big fun, especially when one tries to join you in the float tube :D

Cheers Futzer.

Any of them would be my favorite, which ever one I ever get to fish for first. Seeing as how the only kind of fish I have ever caught, is a trout.

Never had the opportunity to try any other.

First I'll try to branch out on the other cold water fish.

But hopefully I will get to try out some warm water species at some point.

Here's hoping anyways..

Justin